To lead the contracts team in a specific project in charge of the contracting for the offshore wind farm projects within Avangrid Renewables. The Senior Contract Manager is a critical role within the Offshore Business focusing on the delivery of large-scale offshore wind projects in the United States, working with Multinational Joint Venture Partner(s) and Contractors ensuring that Avangrid’s/Iberdrola's position is suitably protected in any agreements. Belonging to the Project Services Department and reporting to the Head of Contracts. Responsible for defining contracting strategies and plans, tendering, negotiating and managing multi-million dollar offshore delivery contracts.
The Senior Contract Manager would work closely with the supply chain and maintain high level relationships with the major suppliers and contractors; the purpose being to ensure that Avangrid maintains very effective and value adding relationships with the suppliers to enhance our ability to deliver against our business strategy.
The individual will be working as part of a global business with activities in the US and the rest of the world. The position may require frequent travel to various locations in the US and overseas and during development, contracting and delivery of projects (large packages) the individual should be prepared to manage teams working at different project locations.
Major Roles & Responsibilities
- The offshore wind farm being managed shall develop adequately balanced risk profiles through contract strategy and ongoing contract management.
- Implement the necessary processes and procedures required to develop and contract each offshore windfarm.
- Oversee that projects comply and follow standard processes and procedure while developing or executing each wind farm.
- Oversee the negotiation and completion of all key business contracts, including wind turbine contracts, infrastructure contracts, offshore wind supply contracts, grid connection contracts, power purchase agreement, sale and purchase agreements etc.
- Project business cases are to be supported with detailed contractual assessments across all disciplines e.g. turbines, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, marine, geological, weather, offshore installation, ports and logistics etc.
- Anticipate contractual and commercial risks, opportunities and threats to the project and implement control measures or actions.
- Maintain value adding relationships with all contractor and suppliers.
- Coordinate all internal legal, insurance and procurement activities for the project.
- Monitoring contractor performance in the project, to ensure quality, H&S and cost targets are met and ensuring the project is implemented in a manner consistent with the contract terms and with sound commercial and risk management principles.
Management of Supply Chain strategy for the project
- Securing sufficient manufacturing capacity in accordance with programs and budgets;
- Devising the most economically advantageous multi-contract solutions;
- Ensuring procurement best practice and sound risk allocation principles are maintained;
- Provision for management of interfaces across several concurrent supply chain contracts in a highly risky marine environment; and
- Taking account of changes in technology or industry practices (such as installation techniques)
- Encouraging supply chain growth, where required in appropriate geographical areas. This will include working with senior executives in supply chain companies, senior government officials, regional development agencies, local authorities, key competitors and other stakeholders.
Project insurance management
- Responsible for developing and coordinating project insurance strategy (by coordinating with Iberdrola/Avangrid Group Insurance Team and external insurance advisers).
- Ensuring that the strategy takes account of best industry practice for insurance and risk management in the offshore wind sector and is properly coordinated across the project supply chain and contracting arrangements.
- Put in place systems so that all activities within the project are undertaken in compliance with Iberdrola/Avangrid Group risk and governance policies.
- Establish the necessary committees on a per project basis to influence direction and ensure knowledge transfer.
- Drive continuous improvement in contractual strategies, commercial parameters and contractual terms and conditions.
- Current offshore pipeline is larger 6 GW in IBR/AVG Offshore Business.
- Multi-billion dollar projects and multi-million dollar contracts within the Global Offshore Wind Business 6000MW investment plan.
- Currently there are 3x projects in different stages of their lifecycle which require commercial and contractual leadership and coordination.
- Offshore industry is still relatively immature, and a key focus is on driving down cost. This role will play a large part in developing initiatives to reduce the cost of engineering, delivery and contracting.
- American, British, Spanish, French and German team members, different languages and cultures to be managed in the projects (large packages).
- Organizational complexity of the projects is a challenge.
Planning & Organizing
- 10 year planning horizon for all contracting activities relating to the delivery of the offshore business plan.
- Formulating and gaining approvals for project investment cases and annual budgets then controlling and forecasting.
- Specifying and procuring multi-million dollar project contracts.
- Coordinate support and coordinate key expertise from within the offshore business.
- Collaborate with all departments to ensure necessary input to contracts.
- Collaborate with O&M to ensure requirements are specified and delivered and assets are effectively transferred into operation to deliver business returns
- Collaborate with Technical Services for effective and efficient deployment of resources and knowledge development/ retention
- Collaborate with Project Support for effective and efficient deployment of resources and knowledge development/ retention
- Collaborate and coordinate with all corporate functions to ensure alignment and delivery of contract strategies.
- Maintain key relationships with contractors and suppliers.
- Represent offshore business within industry, with government officials and regulators, if requested.
- Collaboration with Partners aligning investment plans, sharing knowledge and best practice and delivering joint venture projects/ assets.
Education & Experience Required
- Degree and professional qualification in relevant discipline – Mechanical/Electrical/Marine Engineering/Naval Architectural, Contract Management, Project Management, Construction Management or commercially orientated qualification.
- Substantial postgraduate experience in industry with significant experience in the energy sector.
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
- Flexible to travel.
- Proven track record delivering complex multi-discipline projects.
Special Requirements (not mandatory)
- Experience in offshore sector
- Extensive technical and practical knowledge of wind energy technology preferred.
- Experience in management of large multidisciplinary teams.
- Extensive experience in management of large multidisciplinary contracting strategies.
- Proven track record delivering large, complex, multidisciplinary designs and execution of works in an renewable energy environment.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and offshore regulations.
- Knowledge of health and safety and environmental legislation associated with construction projects.
- Proven capability of delivering against multiple targets.
- Proactive and diligent approach.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good organizational and operational skills with the ability to link this awareness to contractual judgement and decision making.
- Ability to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing working environment and demonstrate a positive approach to change.
- High degree of self-motivation with a flexible approach to work.
- Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft office applications as well as an ability to deal with new software.
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or [email protected]