We create smart innovations to meet the mobility challenges of today and tomorrow. We design and manufacture a complete range of transportation systems, from high-speed trains to electric buses and driverless trains, as well as infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a truly global community of more than 75 000 people dedicated to solving real-world mobility challenges and achieving international projects with sustainable local impact.
As safety manager, your mission will be to lead the safety related activities for the signalling products and solutions developed for onboard applications.
Alstom Charleroi has developed since years the ETCS onboard subsystem and is the center of excellence for Alstom worldwide in this area. In the scope of this development there is an internal program that comprises different parts of this subsystem and a variety of safety analyses/activities.
In this context Alstom Charleroi is recruiting a Safety Manager to participate to the safety activities to be performed in the frame of this program, to produce the Safety Case and to support the Assessments (ISA).
- You’ll have to demonstrate, independently via studies and tests, that the proposed system is fit for purpose and safe;
- You’ll have to liaise with the Independent Safety Assessor mandated for the project to obtain the necessary ISA certificate and support EC NoBo assessment.
The Safety Assurance Manager will be accountable for:
- Managing the safety activities and related deliverables in accordance with Quality, Cost and Delay commitments;
- Leading functionally the safety team working on the program (8 or more engineers);
- Defining safety requirements allowing reaching an acceptable level of risks as per the Alstom Transport Safety policy;
- Coordinating the different Railway Safety stakeholders working on the Project(s) /Program(s) /Tender(s) for the relevant scope when applicable;
- Applying the applicable Alstom Transport Railway Safety processes & instructions and follow associated standards (Cenelec EN 50126/50128/50129…);
- Ensuring the management of the Safety Independent Assessment for both software and hardware parts;
- Supporting project and eventually customers when needed;
- Analyzing new ERTMS standards / change requests from a safety perspective and support relevant discussions with Unisig or European Railway Agency.
To be successful in this function, you’ll certainly have to initiate and maintain regular and constructive relationships with internal (project team, R&D, Site Safety manager,…) and external (customers, independent safety assessors, national safety authorities, users and maintenance crews,…) partners.
You have the opportunity to join our teams in Charleroi (Belgium), from where Alstom is active through two centers of excellence:
- Signalling Systems – Center of excellence ERTMS (European standard development and implementation)
- Power Electronics – Center of excellence Traction Systems (Traction solutions / auxiliary converters / low voltage cabinets)
Important efforts in R&D support the development of these activities contributing actively to promoting a safe and performant railway network as well as sustainable mobility solutions worldwide.
The Alstom Belgium teams have an excellent knowledge and reputation in the global project management and every day from Charleroi, about 1050 employees, among which 500 engineers, are working on more than 100 projects all over the world. Thanks to them, the site of Charleroi makes a significant contribution to worldwide rail transportation development.
Examples of current / recent projects:
- First commercial service of high speed trains and line between Berlin and Munich;
- Participation to Dubai new metro project for 2020 world universal expo;
- Pilot project of Automatic Train Operation in Belgium and in the Netherlands;
- Upgrade of the whole Danish train fleet with new signaling systems;
- Upgrade of most of the Belgium train fleet with new signaling systems;
- Manila upgrade and extension of current transportation system.
Education - Engineering degree with specific training/experience in the fields of Signalling systems, Critical systems, electronics, automatics, software architecture or other well-suited degree/background.
Experience – Min. 3 to 5 years in safety assurance (Functional Safety), with associated knowledge of safety methodologies. Experience in signaling is an asset. For instance:
- Skilled in Safety Management of ERTMS Signalling System (UNISIG Standards).
- Skilled in Safety Management of European Legacy Signalling System (KVB, TBL1+, ATB, PZB, …).
Experience in other technical environment shall be highlighted if relevant.
- Skilled in Safety Management of Embedded Software development for Critical Application, in architecture of Critical Application.
- Skilled in Safety Management of Safety Platform development
Language – A full proficient use of French and English are mandatory to be able to write and explain safety studies internally and externally. Knowledge of other languages is a plus.
Behavioral competencies – Positive personality / Rigorous and reliable / Promote Teamwork and communication / Ability to work under pressure / good analytical & synthetical skills / Autonomy and perseverance / Skilled in team management
An agile, inclusive and responsible culture is the foundation of our company where diverse people are offered excellent opportunities to grow, learn and advance in their careers. We are committed to encouraging our employees to reach their full potential, while valuing and respecting them as individuals.