Shift Manager, Mine Operations
Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The company is vertically integrated from mining through iron making, steelmaking, rolling, finishing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components. Cleveland-Cliffs Minorca Mine, near Virginia, MN, is one of the company’s leading sources of iron ore – a major raw material required in the manufacture of steel. Each year, Minorca produces about 2.8 million tons of fluxed iron-bearing pellets, and mines about 18 million tons of ore, rock and waste material, called overburden. The pellets are then shipped to Cleveland-Cliffs Indiana Harbor, North America’s largest integrated steelmaking complex located in East Chicago, Ind., about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. There, the pellets are charged into Indiana Harbor’s massive No. 7 Blast Furnace – the largest iron producer in the Western Hemisphere, capable of producing more than 12,500 tons of molten iron a day. Minorca supplies about 50 percent of No. 7 Blast Furnace’s pelletized iron requirements.
As a shift manager at Cleveland-Cliffs, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career. Ideal candidates enjoy hands-on, collaborative environments and are willing to seize opportunities to develop themselves. Shift managers provide leadership in ensuring teams work together safely to efficiently produce and deliver quality products to our customers.
- Directly lead union employees who are responsible for maintaining and operating equipment through time-based, predictive, and emergency actions.
- Ability to work in extreme conditions (hot/cold, heights, stairs, ladders)
- Supervise the completion of work assignments and follow established department plans.
- Enforce safety and environmental regulations, conducts daily safety communications, monitors monthly safety activities, and conduct safety inspections as needed.
- Create, read, and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports.
- Consult with other supervisors to coordinate operations and maintenance activities within or between departments.
- Responsible for personnel matters, including training, development, discipline, safety programs and policies for direct reports.
- Resolve employee concerns, complaints, or grievances.
- Direct contractors as needed to support the department
- Post-seconday degree in a technical field or have equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of experience in an industrial environment
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [ Email address blocked ] , or call
- Supervisory experience in an industrial environment is preferred
- Mining or Heavy Construction experience is preferred
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.