The Commodity Specialist / Manager is responsible for building a strong understanding of customer needs in all Businesses, developing strategies for addressing those needs, and executing the plan to achieve those strategies for the Interconnect, Wire and Cable Assembly commodities. Coordinate deployment of actions in support of the strategic initiatives by working closely with the individual Business Unit resources. The commodity manager will have full responsibility for his/her commodities including improving supplier performance, lead time, new product development, risk management and developing a lean supplier network design focused on improving customer service. This will involve building a strong relationship with business management, managing supplier relationships, working with division/suppliers to correct major or repetitive supply issues, and analyzing Material Information Network data as required. Aggregate purchase volumes estimated at approximately $90M.
- Responsible for Emerson’s Global Interconnect, Wire and Cable Assembly spend
- Assume a leadership role in developing strong supplier relationships (one Emerson voice) that includes:
- Develop supplier plans and goals that drive continuous improvement
- Technology roadmap development and integration into Emerson Products
- Manufacturing, inventory and capacity planning
- Global deployment and Support to Emerson as one company
- Lead development and implementation of comprehensive commodity strategies to manage growth and supply chain risk
- Facilitate and maintain stakeholder communication and alignment with these strategies
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the sourcing industry through close working relationships with Emerson businesses, preferred suppliers, trade organizations, and market trends
- Negotiate and implement strategic initiatives for material sourcing and pricing strategies from preferred suppliers
- Complete contract negotiations and develop commercial agreements
- Understand the engineering, quality, marketing, procurement, and manufacturing requirement and objectives of each Business Group/Business Unit
- Evaluate and select suppliers to develop the Preferred Supplier Network
- Identify, coordinate, and track implementation of e-sourcing events
- Ensure the accuracy and set expectations for the commodities reported in Business Unit inflation models
- Lead, participate in and support the development and implementation of supplier transition plans which map the consolidation process for each Business
- Optimize supplier performance and lead times in line with stakeholder requirements, implementing asset management strategies and facilitating supplier cooperation to improve on time performance.
- Developing forecast for annual spend and savings targets, performing cost analysis, supplier benchmarking, and selection of projects to decrease expenditures and improve supplier performance
- Travel – Estimated at 15%-20%, domestic and international
- BA/BS in Business, Engineering, Materials, Supply Chain or related degree required. Preference for Electrical or Industrial Engineering
- Strong analytical skills required
- Candidates must have detailed market knowledge in commodity industry gained through the following: experience in engineering, operations and/or marketing, or first-hand procurement negotiation knowledge
- 5 years industry experience, including some manufacturing background
- Sourcing experience
- Strong presentation, communication and leadership skills required
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong team orientation, and proven ability to communicate effectively to all levels of management required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- MBA preferred
- Prior work experience in a global matrix organization preferred
At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher.
As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
Our Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure.
Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $17.4 billion in sales, more than 20 Innovation, Solutions & Engineering Centers, and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers.
Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
Supplier Relationship Management