Occupational Health and Safety Specialist Senior
Job Requisition Number
Hrd Safety & Workers' Compensa
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in a related field, plus two (2) years of human resources experience in the assigned area of specialization.
- Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
- Valid Texas Driver License.
- Licensing for specific disciplines may be required.
- Appropriate certifications as specified for the assignment.
Notes to Applicants
The Human Resources Department works to position the City of Austin as an employer of choice through balanced, efficient and collaborative strategic partnerships. We support and develop a high performing and diverse workforce that fosters a healthy, safe, respectful and productive work environment for employees and their families, City departments and the community.
The Occupational Health and Safety Specialist Senior position will assist Risk Management, Corporate Safety, in the implementation of citywide health and safety programs and training events. This position will provide CDL Entry Level Driver Training and assist with overseeing the program. The position will be responsible for conducting internal audits/inspections and maintaining citywide health and safety programs to ensure compliance with City of Austin, federal and state regulations as well as best management practices. The position will assist with commercial insurance site inspections and audits.When completing the City of Austin employment application:
A detailed, complete City of Austin application is required for the position to help us better evaluate your qualifications. For each of your positions, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience that is relevant to this position, including your supervisory and/or leadership experience, if applicable. This is the criteria that will be used to select candidates for interview, and the starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience.Driving Requirement: Licensing for specific disciplines may be required:
This position requires a Texas Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the [ Link removed ] . To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
If you are selected to interview:
- This position requires a Class A commercial driver’s license with no suspensions or revocations within the last 2 years.
If you are identified as a top candidate, verification of your education, to include High School graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees, will be required.Benefits:
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click [ Link removed ] for more information.
Assessment(s) will be administered as part of this recruitment.
$30.14 – $37.68
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Monday – Friday
* Hours may vary depending upon business needs.
* Telework opportunities may be available.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
5202 East Ben White Blvd. Suite 500, Austin, TX 78741
- Experience with the Entry Level Driver Training program or similar programs.
- Experience operating and training with a Class A commercial driver’s license and heavy equipment.
- Experience communicating and providing training for all levels of an organization.
- Experience developing course curricula, visual aids, and reference materials.
- Experience conducting safety audits and inspections.
- Experience managing Learning Management Systems and or proficient in Microsoft Office applications (or other databases).
- Bilingual – English/Spanish.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Bears responsibility for the implementation of the safety program and assists in the development of the safety program by inspecting or reviewing areas, equipment, work processes, and work activities for hazardous conditions.
- Establishes standards and procedures to ensure compliance with required government occupational safety regulations, internal City or departmental safety policies, or operational needs related to specific job conditions.
- Conducts safety meetings and presents safety topics to employees; prepares and maintains training materials, presentations, and related safety program documentation.
- Provides, as necessary, training to managers and others on occupational safety issues.
- Administers, develops, and reviews departmental occupational safety plans and investigates work-related accidents according to designated procedures.
- Identifies trends and prepares recommendations for new or modified occupational safety programs to reduce or prevent accidents.
- Assists in auditing compliance with Federal, State, and Local occupational safety regulations.
- Develops and writes departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Coordinates department-wide safety drills, orientation of new employees, or other safety program events; and maintains communication with internal customers and other agencies to support the safety function.
- Collaborates and participates on teams with safety, technical, management, and other stakeholders.
- Researches occupational safety information to assure the best available methods and equipment are adopted to minimize the hazards in the work place.
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws and ordinances.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety and risk management principles, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic training and learning principles.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in investigative analysis.
- Skill in identifying safety and risk hazards.
- Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to deliver training.
- Ability to develop and maintain current knowledge in occupational health and safety programs.
- Ability to develop and facilitate training sessions.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
The minimum qualifications for the Occupational Health and Safety Specialist Senior position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with major coursework in a related field, plus two (2) years of human resources experience in the assigned area of specialization. Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years. Valid Texas Driver License. Licensing for specific disciplines may be required. Appropriate certifications as specified for the assignment. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
This position requires a Valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL). Do you have a Valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) or if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a Valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) by your hire date?
The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
This position requires you to have a Class A commercial driver’s license with no suspensions or revocations within the last 2 years. Do you meet this requirement?
Briefly describe your experience with Entry Level Driver Training programs or similar programs and commercial driver's licensing. Please include which position on your application where you gained this experience and what specific role you played. If you do not have this experience, please put N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience providing training/communication to affected employees about environmental, health, and safety programs and requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience conducting safety audits in the field.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience in working in or supporting Learning Management Systems.
(Open Ended Question)
- Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)
- Curriculum Development
- Data Analysis