Airport Deputy Chief Officer - IT
Job Requisition Number
Admin - Executive Office
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration, Business or Aviation Management, Accounting/Finance, Engineering, or a related field, plus six (6) years of related experience, including two (2) years of which were in a supervisory or managerial capacity.
- Graduation with a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to two (2) years of the required experience.
Notes to Applicants
[ Link removed ]
To ensure consideration, candidates should apply by September 10, 2021
. To apply, candidates must complete this online application. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration. This posting will remain open until filled.Position Summary:
The role of this position is to provide vision and leadership for developing and implementing information technology initiatives, developing innovation strategies, directing the implementation of enterprise IT systems in support of business operations to improve cost effectiveness, service quality and business development.
The Airport Deputy Chief – IT will determine the organization’s long-term technology needs needed to accomplish the airport’s goals and manage all aspects of the day-to-day functions. The Airport Deputy Chief – IT is the airport’s top technology executive, playing an integral role in the airport’s strategic direction, development, and future growth. The Airport Deputy Chief – IT is accountable for managing the overall technology functions for the airport and works with airport management to monitor and validate the airport’s compliance with the security policies and regulations. The Airport Deputy Chief – IT will help define leading-edge technologies to promote business development, spur revenue enhancement, and assist in meeting the needs of our stakeholders. When completing a City of Austin employment application:
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate, and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, training opportunities, and more. Please click [ Link removed ] for more information.
Monday – Friday
(Hours may vary depending upon business needs)
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Austin - Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- 10 years of managing diverse groups of technical staff
- Project management experience
- Experience managing IT functions of a 24/7 operation
- Experience as an IT Executive or similar leadership role
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Supports the Airport Chief Officer in leading and managing programs, functions, and initiatives to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develops and implements short- and long-range strategies, objectives, policies, and priorities.
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State, Local, and industry regulations.
- Assists in the preparation, presentation, and monitoring of the department budget and ensures divisions operate within appropriated budget.
- Develops, revises, and implements standard operating practices, policies, and procedures governing the programs and department activities.
- Acts as official departmental representative to boards and commissions, City departments, City Council, outside agencies, and the community.
- Coordinates departmental activities and programs with other City departments, agencies, and service providers.
- Responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries, complaints, and issues from both internal and external sources.
- Determines goals, objectives, and resource requirements for activities within the assigned divisions.
- Monitors industry trends and implements best practices.
- Assumes Airport Chief Officer duties and responsibilities in their absence.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Local, State, and Federal laws, regulations, and ordinances affecting the airport.
- Knowledge of strategic business planning, organizational change strategies, and performance measurement to achieve business excellence.
- Skill in fiscal planning and developing and preparing budgets.
- Skill in managing and allocating financial and human resources to execute operational and business plans.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City employees, City Council, media, and the public.
- Skill in leading and managing a diverse workforce including department employees and contractors in an airport environment.
- Ability to design short- and long-term strategies/programs that are scalable and efficient in a large and complex organization.
- Ability to work with and coordinate between multiple City departments and internal business units to meet goals and objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, develop and deliver public presentations, and act as the corporate spokesperson when incidents involving operations occur.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
The minimum qualifications for the Airport Deputy Chief Officer are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration, Business or Aviation Management, Accounting/Finance, Engineering, or a related field, plus six (6) years of related experience, including two (2) years of which were in a supervisory or managerial capacity. Graduation with a Master's degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to two (2) years of the required experience. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA-A division of the USA Dept of Homeland Security) requires all employees of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to pass a 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment. Do you agree to a 10-year criminal background investigation and security threat assessment?
- Cover Letter
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
- Background Checks