Requisition Id 8371
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Nanomaterials Chemistry Group in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The postdoctoral position is available for a Chemist, Materials Scientist, or separations scientist with expertise in synthesis and characterization of organic ligands for development of porous polymers and ionic liquids for gas separation. The primary focus will be on the synthesis and evaluation of ligand-attached to polymer adsorbents and novel solvents, and the correlation of chemical structure to the performance of the adsorbents and solvents. The program will have a strong collaborative component with computational scientists working on the same project.
- Synthesize and characterization of task-specific ionic liquids and porous polymers for gas separation
- Evaluate the performance of polymer adsorbents
- Collaborate with other ORNL postdocs and staff who are involved in the synthesis and characterization of adsorbent materials
- Participate in the development of new ideas and projects
- Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Chemistry, Separations Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A strong background in organic/inorganic synthesis and polymer/membrane synthesis
- Expertise on separation sciences
- Expertise in standard purification methods and characterization by the standard tools including NMR, FTIR, mass spectrometry, etc.
- An excellent track record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to [ Link removed ] with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email [ Email address blocked ] .
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Nearest Major Market: Knoxville
- Mass Spectrometry
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance