Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America. We own an interest in or operate approximately 83,000 miles of pipelines and 144 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our terminals store and handle renewable fuels, petroleum products, chemicals vegetable oils and other products.
We are a market leader in each of our businesses – Natural Gas Pipelines, Products Pipelines, CO2, and Terminals. We have an unparalleled, large footprint of diversified and strategically located assets that are core to North American energy infrastructure and help deliver needed energy products to high-demand markets.
This is an Assistant General Counsel position within Kinder Morgan, Inc.’s Products Pipelines business segment. Candidate must be an experienced refined products/oil pipelines and terminals commercial and regulatory lawyer capable of handling complex legal matters and business transactions on behalf of Kinder Morgan’s Products Pipelines business segment. Core responsibilities would include the following:
- Provide legal support and leadership direction to commercial team members on commercial transactions involving refined products and crude oil pipelines and terminals.
- Provide legal support and leadership direction to commercial project members in the planning, development, construction, ownership and operation of refined product and crude oil pipelines and terminals.
- Provide legal support to commercial team members marketing refined products and crude oil.
- Provide legal support for the products pipelines business segment’s rights-of-way.
- Plan, conduct and/or supervise complex legal, regulatory and compliance assignments related to the products pipelines business unit’s operations.
- Conduct joint venture corporate secretary management functions for the products pipelines business segment, including the running of board meetings, drafting of minutes, and facilitation of board voting.
- Represent the company in agency proceedings and/or relevant litigation, including before federal regulatory agencies, such as the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and state regulatory agencies.
- Evaluate legal and business risks and advise clients accordingly.
- Prepare budgets and early matter assessments for all matters involving outside counsel.
- Possess a JD from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice law.
- Have at least 6 years of professional experience in refined products/oil pipelines transactions and energy regulatory law.
- Possess excellent writing, research and communications skills.
- Possess the experience to work directly with the Vice Presidents and President of Kinder Morgan’s products pipelines business unit.
- Be a team player who is flexible and willing to pitch in and do what it takes to efficiently and effectively provide the transactional and regulatory legal support for the operation of Kinder Morgan’s products pipelines platform day-to-day while also working to capture business opportunities.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Financial Management
- Joint Ventures