As a member of Operational Smart Grids Network Management Center (NMC) Team, you will work collaboratively with Operations Technologies Team members and business areas to provide safe, reliable and cost-effective telecommunication network and services to the organization. The NMC environment is an around the clock environment that requires flexibility and tenacity.
Some specific functions of the position include the surveillance, management, upgrade and repair of the AVANGRID Networks. This also includes the resolution of network or system problems with LAN, WAN, Telephone, Microwave, Fiber Optic, WiMAX and other elements. These are some of the duties to ensure AVANGRID’s network availability and standards are met.
This role will be for 2nd & 3rd Shifts.
Assists in the evaluation, design and implementation of network management and automation solutions for the company
• Resolves routine and moderately complex system/network problems.
• Helps to implement operational performance reports and ensures timely publication
• Interfaces with customers and department managers to ensure high network availability.
• Proactively monitor, remotely configure, manage and troubleshoot the OSG transport network.
• Create, Assign and Escalate trouble tickets within the NMC ticket system.
• Act as the technical support working inside a Network Management Center (NMC) to respond to network alerts in a timely manner and restore network service.
• Update/create documentation as the network evolves.
• Provides client consultation and support and demonstrates the ability to effectively define and communicate problems, options, and recommended solutions.
Day to Day Requirements & Activities:
• Monitor network elements, identify problems and or potential problems, create a trouble ticket and move towards resolution and own the repair process.
• Work with Field Technicians, Field Engineers and local management to assist in the resolution of equipment or network level outages
• NMC Specialist works with and become subject matter experts on the network routers, switches, base stations, modems, and other equipment in the AVANGRID network.
• Utilize, manage and maintain network and performance monitoring tools to ensure network reliability (SNMP, SolarWinds, WhatsUp Gold, Nagios, Netcool)
• Utilize element management systems (EMS) to manage the all manufacturer equipment distributed throughout the network.
• In this role, the NMC Specialist will be responsible for collecting, documenting, and analyzing customer trouble reports.
• Facilitate escalation when needed to Carriers, Management and or Tier 3 Manufacturer Support, Core Engineering, Planning, RF Engineering as required for service specific network issues
• Create, update and validate Core and Regional network maps and diagrams as needed
• Perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for network outages that require details on what caused an outage, what was done to resolve it and what can be done to reduce impact
• Provision daily IP address assignments, allocate and provision IP assignments, allocate and provision IP assignments.
• Communicate and Oversee monthly maintenance upgrades for all associated departments
Skills and Requirements
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
• Associates degree in an Engineering discipline; Telecommunications, Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent work experience
• 1-3 years in Network Operations
• Basic understanding of telecommunications networks, voice and data, equipment and transmission
• Knowledge of computerized databases, spreadsheets and reporting tools
• Ability to learn and understand all aspects of the communications infrastructure including but not limited to monitoring, troubleshooting, test & turn-up, support, repair and maintenance
• Knowledge of Fiber, DWDM, Ethernet, Packet switching, IP/MPLS. Wireless, WiMAX a plus.
• Knowledge of SNMP and other Network Management Protocols is desirable
• Knowledge of Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) and Monitoring tools (LogRhythm, McAfee, Solarwinds, etc.) is beneficial
• Diagnostic skills in PC, Network and Communications hardware and software.
Our Selection Process
• Willingness to work flexible schedules and support a 24x7x365 operation, including On-Call.
• Must be self-motivated and functional in a high stress environment
• Strong problem solving, quick decision making, time management, flexibility, and communication skills, oral and written.
• The general understanding of when to escalate problems and notify the SME’s for support.
• PC skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Visio
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]