At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40 countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the Opportunity
Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services, offering a full spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients.
Jacobs’ Tunnelling & Ground Engineering (TGE) group specialises in the breadth of national and international infrastructure development schemes and supports the Ports & Maritime group (PMG) in its provision of specialist technical services in coastal zone infrastructure development. PMG’s focus is the delivery of commercial ports, bulk terminals, naval bases, breakwaters and coastal defences, dredging and reclamation, marine off-loading facilities, and sea water intakes and outfalls.
To support the requirements for ground engineering solutions within PMG, TGE is looking to appoint a Principal/Associate Director Geotechnical Engineer with the passion and drive to add value and shape positive solutions for the breadth of PMG’s major UK and international clients across the maritime, defence, energy and transport sectors.
The successful person will join a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities. PMG’s diverse project portfolio will provide opportunities for unique experience within the ports and maritime sector, with wider opportunities in the ground engineering sector to further develop your career.
As a geotechnical engineer within TGE you will take responsibility for development and delivery of specialised ground engineering input to PMG’s maritime and coastal projects and you will be expected to provide geotechnical guidance, support and mentoring to PMG’s civil, structural and coastal engineers, scientists and technicians. You will also provide the primary liaison with TGE’s geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists who will provide further reach-back support and input on large commissions, or where particular expertise is required.
The priorities of your role will include:
• Provision of technical leadership and ensuring quality and excellence of geotechnical project deliverables for the entire ports and maritime project portfolio;
• Providing inputs to the planning, investigation, design and construction of PMG’s projects;
• Delivering ground engineering solutions and outputs to meet programme and budget on ports and maritime schemes;
• Coordinating and overseeing support from geotechnical engineers within TGE, including checking and reviewing technical inputs and deliverables;
• Liaising with the wider PMG and TGE design and leadership teams, our contractors and our clients; and,
• Supporting PMG (and, where appropriate, TGE) business development activities, including scoping the geotechnical elements of proposals and estimates.
Here’s What You’ll Need
• An experienced professional, you will be a Chartered Engineer/Geologist;
• MEng degree in Civil Engineering or an appropriate degree in Geology with a post-graduate qualification in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology;
• Strong design skills and all-round technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering and/or engineering geology;
• Experience in working on fast paced maritime projects for both commercial and public sector clients;
• Specific experience and expertise in the geotechnical design of vessel berthing and ancillary structures including pile-supported quays, retaining and/or combi walls, caissons and block walls, STS crane foundations, mooring and berthing dolphins, and large diameter mono piles;
• Specific experience in the geotechnical design of rubble mound or other breakwater and revetment structures, addressing settlement, bearing capacity, slope stability and global stability;
• Experience in dredging and reclamation, including design of ground improvement procedures;
• An excellent understanding of safety, health and environmental responsibilities and designers’ CDM obligations;
• Ability to progress schemes from inception to design completion;
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a large multi-disciplinary team; and,
• The essential ability to produce accurate and well-presented design reports, drawings and specifications.
• Familiarity with geotechnical design tools for retaining walls, axially and laterally loaded piles, pile groups, slope stability, etc.;
• Familiarity with numerical element modelling tools, such as PLAXIS, FLAC, etc.;
• Experience in:
o leading design teams and mentoring junior staff;
o ground investigation supervision, laboratory test scheduling and reporting;
o geotechnical design to accommodate seismic or cyclic loading conditions;
o working with international clients on overseas projects; and,
o inspection and supervision during construction.
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
- Business Development
- Chartered Engineer
- Civil Engineering
- Coaching And Mentoring