At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, safety, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” and growth happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of large-scale solar and energy storage in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the [ Link removed ] , an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
About the Role
The Sr Civil Engineer will be responsible for successful completion of all civil engineering aspects of utility-scale projects via oversight and coordination of civil engineer resources (internal or external), direct personal contribution of work product, or a combination of the two depending on project needs. The role requires a deep knowledge of how civil engineering decisions may impact overall project cost on utility-scale projects and an ability to apply that knowledge to consistently deliver optimized site designs while striving to minimize lead time and constantly seeking to improve the way the work is completed. In addition to acting as subject matter expert on civil designs, the Sr CE will also be responsible for general business leadership, team development, individual growth, and support the creation of an industry-leading design department. This role will have the potential opportunity to manage a small team of direct reports - dependent on business needs, individual desire to have management responsibility, and a demonstrated aptitude within key leadership areas (e.g. Strategic planning, mentoring, process development, business insight, cross-department collaboration, etc.)
Position Responsibilities during Pre-Con and Business Development Phase include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Initial assessment of project requirements/constraints, review of client-provided information, and determination of comprehensive civil engineering scope of work required for individual projects.
- Determination of required approvals at local, state, and federal level; ensure preliminary project designs comply with all requirements for permitting and jurisdiction approval.
- Review of civil related studies and documents such as Geotechnical Reports, Phase I ESAs, Wetland Delineation Reports, ALTA Surveys, Topographic data, and Hydrology Reports.
- Analysis of existing topography and proposed grading in relation to system efficiency and optimization.
- Quantify risk items and devise associated mitigation strategies for all aspects of civil engineering.
- Produce accurate projected material take-offs and work quantities to support internal estimating teams.
Position Responsibilities during Detailed Design Phase include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Determination of project roster and staffing requirements to complete detailed civil engineering designs.
- Accurate forecasting and determination of detailed civil scope of work, required process time to complete, and final deliverable dates; estimates to be baselined and managed via critical path milestone (CPM) scheduling from contact signing through closeout.
- Establish, maintain, and oversee relationships with external civil subcontractors; ability to peer-review (QA/QC) work product provided by outside civil partners.
- Ability to produce and/or oversee development of SWPPP, SPCC, SESC, and other site management and BMP plans.
- Hydrologic and hydraulic site modeling (in HydroCAD or equivalent)
- Establish, maintain, and utilize standard work (SOPs) and continuously seek to optimize civil design methodologies.
- Deliver the most cost-effective designs through a combination of standard work, personal subject matter knowledge/expertise, and stakeholder input, particularly that of the client and construction/ operations teams.
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s of Science, Civil Engineering
- 3+ years experience designing large scale PV projects
- PE License strongly preferred but EIT certification and plan to pursue licensure will also be considered
- Broad understanding of all aspects of civil design, including: Civil related studies and documents such as Geotechnical Reports, Phase I ESAs, Wetland Delineation Reports, ALTA Surveys, Topographic data, and Hydrology Reports.
- Experience managing commonly required permits for Solar projects including, but not limited to, Special Use Permits, driveway permits, and land disturbance permits.
- Understanding of various stormwater modeling methods such as Rational Method and SCS TR-55 Method
- Experience managing the creation of complex civil site plans including: detailed grading plans, onsite detention / retention basin and swale design, roadways and access plans, drainage design, and landscaping plans.
- Experience interacting with AHJs, permitting agencies, and client representatives - including independent engineers acting as owner’s engineers.
- Deep understanding of regulatory statutes related to technical aspects of civil engineering.
- Ability and inclination to continually evaluate business needs and practices, successfully facilitating improvements using lean problem solving, standard work, and BSOE principles
- Excitement about growing along with a fast-paced, dynamic company; comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to build, experiment, and iterate when the path forward is undefined
- A passion for renewable energy, addressing the climate crisis, and accelerating the clean energy transformation
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; a comprehensive wellness program; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters collaboration, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity and creating an inclusive environment not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego\u0027s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Product Quality Assurance