As part of AVANGRID Networks effort to improve the reliability and resiliency of the power grid, and support access for future clean energy projects, the Integrated Projects Senior Engineer Electrical Transmission will be responsible for the Bulk Electric System Transmission Lines designs.
The Senior Engineer in Projects organization is an engineer position with responsibilities over the portfolio of projects assigned to the Unit where the Engineer will be assigned to, ensuring each project is engineered in compliance with regulations, company standards, and consistently across the board.
Position reports to the Unit Manager, but the position will work day-to-day in cross functional project team and support project needs as dictated by the Project Manager and Unit Manager.
Experience with Transmission Lines design overhead and underground and Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Project detailed engineering, designs and calculations using standard methodology & principles including all phases such as: scoping and budgeting, conceptual engineering, engineering design, construction and closeout.
- Maintain, & understand drawings (e.g. plan & profiles, schematics, one-line diagrams, etc,...).
- Develop & specify equipment, assemble documents & other requirements for assignments of projects using depth & breadth of expertise in own discipline.
- Ensure all engineering designs implemented by the company meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards.
- Ability to collaborate across departments.
- Work independently although supervision might be required.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required
- 5+ years minimum relevant experience.
- Theoretical Engineering knowledge - Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Analytic, modeling & Calculation, understanding the business model; Global View of the Business (Values cross-functional collaboration, understands importance of growing knowledge and developing relationships and links across the organization)
- Practical engineering experience/application - Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field experience, standardization 'Perform economic analyses of engineering alternatives, develop business cases and defend in front of stakeholders.')
- Engineering documentation – Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation
- Ability to review and approve engineering work done by others to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment– Local, State and Federal Regulatory Standards and requirements
- Experience using PLSCAD
Functional/job/business specific Competencies:
- Knowledge of the regulatory environment including relevant output and incentive mechanisms.
- Knowledge company, local, state, and national codes and standards.
- Knowledge in Transmission Lines design is a must.
- Knowledge of Construction for utility environments or large corporations.
Preferred Qualifications: (Optional)
- Professional Engineering License Preferred
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
- Technical Skills
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
Engineering Design Process