This is an exciting Practitioner Planning Engineer opportunity working for our EDF Framework in Barnwood, Gloucester.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports Energy Energy Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations and prepare for defuelling and decommissioning. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
What will I be doing?
As a Practitioner Planning Engineer you will be responsible for providing planning support to the EDF Energy Generation work portfolio. The main focus will be to work with Project Managers to develop & manage schedules to incorporate risk, change, resource requirements and cost in accordance with EDF Energy Generation Company requirements and standards.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Develop, control, monitor, analyse and report on schedule related aspects for designated projects within a Portfolio.
- Establish and monitor a cost and resource loaded, logic linked, baseline plan for the project in accordance with Central Technical Organisation (CTO) Programme Office processes.
- Capture project budgetary costs and resources in the plan to determine time phasing of expenditure and the total project budget.
- Establish robust Work Breakdown and Project Control Structures in terms of project scope, in accordance with Investment Delivery processes, templates and Procedures.
- Work with the Project Manager and the Project team to establish the project activities, cost and durations and ensure that these reflect project scope, constraints and commitments. Challenge as necessary to ensure compatibility and compliance.
- Interface with other departments regarding the project’s activities which may have an impact and ensure these are correctly captured.
- Facilitate acceptance of and ensure that the project plan embraces the full project work scope, is fit for purpose and is achievable. This to be done in collaboration with the Project Manager and the project’s Key Team Members / Task Managers.
- Ensure that any necessary planning interface with the site Work Management Process (WMP) is established.
- Maintain and control project baselines in line with company procedures and guidance.
- Support the EDF Energy business planning process.
- Ensure the reasons for, and the factors influencing each change to the project’s baseline plan plus the implications of such change are understood and communicated with the wider project team.
- Liaise with project team members and contractors with regards to progress and cost forecasting.
- Monitor, control and analyse the project programme and cost information using Earned Value methodologies, identify variances and bring these to the
- attention of the Project Manager with possible alternatives, prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project’s specific needs.
Challenging schedule and cost variances against the baseline plan with individual task leaders/contractors and or outside stakeholder management as necessary to enable mitigation.
- Integrate 3rd party schedules and data into the overall project plan.
- Contribute to progress meetings, as required, in support of the Project Manager.
- Regular interfacing and integration with the project controls team to maintain an aligned financial position with the Project Plan.
- Breadth of experience across whole project and programme lifecycle. (e.g. Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation/Commissioning processes), preferably in a highly regulated environment.
- Working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Primavera (P6) trained.
- Experience in building cost and resource loaded plans.
- High level of numeracy and excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent MS Office skills, well versed in the preparation of reports and information using packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to
support the successful delivery of projects.
- The ability to reconcile cost information as it applies to the programmes of work.
- Proficient in the interpretation of estimating, scheduling, programming and risk tools.
- Proficient in the use of Earned Value Analysis.
- Self motivated with good interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
- Good attention to detail with good time management skills.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills.
- Able to use initiative.
- Ability to work flexibly within the demands of the project, where appropriate, while maintaining the procedural and quality requirements of EDF Energy.
- Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment
- Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment.
- Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in an Engineering discipline or relevant experience.
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
Earned Value Management