[ Link removed ] is one of the largest producers of emission-free nuclear energy in the United States. Nuclear energy has long been a source of clean power and is a fundamental part of NextEra Energy Resources’ plan for a zero-emissions energy future. Our Nuclear Fleet is leading the industry as we leverage technology to build the next generation of leaders. Are you interested in becoming a trailblazer in the energy industry? Join our world-class team today.
Position Specific Description
Additional duties for the role once licensed will include:
- Monitoring and controlling Reactor Power and Main Generator Output
- Monitoring plant systems from the Control Room, interpreting results and applying integrated system knowledge.
- Responds to plant indicators and alarms in accordance with plant procedures including identifying those parameters that are indicative of an emergency condition and initiating designated actions.
- Performs operations in accordance with administrative procedures and NRC license including shift turnovers, log maintenance, etc.
- Coordinate the performance of surveillance activities with field operators
- Develop and implement operational procedures
- Responsible to identify and correct deficient conditions through the use of the station Corrective Action program, initiating action requests for material condition issues.
- During refueling outages will assist in refueling the reactor.
- Attending Continuing training
- Assist in development and implementation of training programs
The principal duty of the control operator (CO) is to acquire the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to qualify to perform Licensed Operator duties and successfully pass the NRC's Reactor Operator's License examination. The CO performs under the direction of an Operating Supervisor or other licensed and technical supervisory personnel. The CO will be involved in simulator, classroom and on-the-job training. The CO must develop knowledge, skills and proficiency in operation of plant equipment from control room as well as understanding the application of station design, plant license basis, plant design bases, the FSAR, operating instructions, procedures, emergency procedures, administrative procedures, technical specifications, and safety rules and regulations. The CO must pass examinations (written, oral, simulator operational), and must demonstrate by these examinations that satisfactory progress is being achieved. This vacancy does or may include rotating shifts.
- The applicant shall possess a high school diploma or equivalency certificate and at least three years of power plant experience, at least one year of which is spent at Point Beach Nuclear Plant. The applicant shall have spent at least six months as an Auxiliary Operator at Point Beach Nuclear Plant or equivalent qualifications at another commercial nuclear facility.
- Pass Plant Operator Selection System - Nuclear (POSS) test
- The CO will be required to show consistent satisfactory progress toward acquiring an NRC Reactor Operator's License, and will be continued in the CO classification after there have been two opportunities for the employee to take the Reactor Operator License exam. Failure to show consistent satisfactory progress or acquire the NRC license after two opportunities to take the required examination will result in the employee being returned to the Auxiliary Operator occupation and being placed on the appropriate step of the Auxiliary Operator Wage Schedule reflecting the time during which the employee was classified as a CO. Such employee will not again be considered by the company for future vacancies in the CO occupation until completion of the minimum waiting period (as established by government regulations) and until the employee can be certified by company management as qualified and likely to succeed.
- Positions in Nuclear Power Business Unit requiring unescorted access to Point Beach Nuclear Plant require applicants to satisfy all Company and Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) security requirements. The applicant shall meet NRC medical requirements. This requirement does not have to be satisfied until Final License Application.
Employee Group: Bargaining Unit
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Craft Skilled/ Journey Level
Organization: NextEra Point Beach
Relocation Provided: No
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to [ Link removed ] , providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call
. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our [ Link removed ] for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Green Bay
Nearest Secondary Market: Appleton
Power Plant Operator, Reactor Operator, Power Plant, Nuclear, Energy
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)
- Energy Production
- Job Training
- Medical Emergency