TITLE: Government Accounting & Compliance Manager
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Government Accounting & Compliance Manager
The Government Accounting & Compliance Manager will work in Finance and be responsible for leading DCAA government audits, support contract renewal, proposal and negotiation activities. Oversee cost allowability and compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) as applicable, and other applicable regulations and contract terms. The successful candidate will demonstrate extensive knowledge in GAAP, GAGAS, FAR, CAS, and strong user experience in the ICE model, Detailed Budget Justification (DBJ) and accounting system Oracle/NetSuite.
- Lead DCAA and third-party government audits (planning, execution and report issuance); audit scope includes provisional indirect rates audit, indirect cost audit, true up audit, and compliance audit (Single Audit)
- Oversee and provide guidance to internal stakeholders on cost allowability matters, compliance with FAR, CAS and other applicable regulations; identifying unallowable cost according to government rules and/or contract terms
- Perform provisional billing rate development, actual indirect rate tracking with the ICE Model (incurred cost electronic); oversee quarterly rates monitoring and rates forecast
- Have experience with cooperative agreements (gov. grant cost share/cost recovery) and gov. contracts as prime and subrecipient, including firm fixed price, time and materials, all Cost-type contracts, IDIQs, CRADAs, etc.
- Perform cost price analysis during annual budget renewal
- Lead rates approval and negotiation
- Prepare reporting in accordance with contract terms and compliance with FAR, including SF-425, SF-428, and contract close out reports
- Perform subrecipient monitoring including risk assessments and rates review
- Support budget renewal or new proposals in providing contract analysis and review of RFPs; perform pre-award and post award financial due diligence
- Work cross functionally with PMO, Procurement, Contracts, Legal, business stakeholders, and customers to resolve contractual issues
- Review government travel from subrecipients for FAR & travel policy compliance, and provide process/contract improvement recommendation
- Review and ensure proper coding of GL/department/project billable codes in the accounting system
- Provide timely reports for project managers (PM) and the project management organization (PMO)
- Ability to implement and update policies and procedures, provide training/guidance to employees
- Oversee government billings to ensure complete and accuracy of billings, and evaluating cost compliance in accordance with contractual requirements and all Government regulations
- Oversee government property is handled according to contractual requirements and government regulations
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or the equivalent business-experience
- Minimum of 8 years work experience in an accounting environment
- Experience in DCAA audit or public accounting in government compliance practice preferred
- Working knowledge of the ICE model
- Experience working in project organization
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and able to quickly adapt to other Finance and Accounting systems (Oracle, NetSuite, Concur)
- Knowledge of Oracle is preferred
- Working knowledge of government grants (cooperative agreements) and/or government contracts is preferred
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; high degree of accuracy
- Capable of quickly comprehending new information and technologies
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, comfortable working with operations team/non-accounting professionals, deal with complex accounting/project codes/org codes.
- Analytical/problem solving – ability to identify, analyze and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; must be able to meet deadlines, have excellent follow-through capability
- Must be team oriented, willing to operate within a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-5%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
- Accounting Systems
- Attention To Detail