Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
Solar penetration is less than 1%, but just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best solar technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency, and performance. SunPower offers the only solar + storage solution designed and warranted by one company that gives customers control over electricity consumption. Through design, installation, maintenance, and monitoring, SunPower provides its world-class solar solutions to residential and commercial customers across the U.S.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate, and driven team of more than 2,500 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. SunPower welcomes the forward thinkers, the future savers of the world, the freedom chasers and all those demanding better, cleaner energy.
Summary of Role:
The Applications Engineering (AE) team is the “voice of the customer” and the bridge between the product and the field. The AE role is expected to have high-level technical aptitude and work with a wide spectrum of HW and SW products at a practical level to help ensure success with both internal and external customers.
The AE team ensures a successful rollout of new products and uses a closed-loop learning process to influence the roadmap of new product development and sustaining product improvements. The AE team are top-level product SMEs and provide top-level escalation support. The AE team determines the root cause of field and product issues and solves them or engages product development to implement solutions. This role engages in cross-discipline activities: the AE team works with many functional groups including engineering development, sales, customers, manufacturing, operations, and technical support.
A strong preference is for candidates with solar or energy storage experience. Candidates with a proven track record of applications engineering excellence in other industries will be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Applies scientific/ technical knowledge in the design, development and implementation of engineering models, tools and/or processes. Responsible for planning and executing engineering projects, setting priorities, and making necessary decisions on day-to-day operating matters.
- Demonstrates technical process/equipment expertise.
- Suggests alternative solutions to complex issues.
- Expert in technical leadership or process/ equipment qualification and development methodologies.
- Demonstrates commitment to core corporate values and ethics with a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Works on problems of diverse scope, where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in their own area of expertise.
- Solves complex technical problems within their area of designation.
- Uses all resources at hand, internal and external, to apply the most appropriate problem-solving techniques.
- Uses understanding of the root cause to develop future innovation opportunities.
Teamwork, Collaboration & Influence
- Ensures that knowledge and information are appropriately communicated.
- Encourages collaboration by engaging others in problem-solving.
- Collaborates company-wide on cross-functional, cross-divisional teams.
- Adept at working directly with customers or customer representatives to discuss technical matters.
- B.S. degree in Engineering and 3+ years of related experience or M.S. Degree and 2+ years
- OR an equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
- Renewable energy industry knowledge with a deep knowledge of residential solar and storage applications is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Visio, CAD, and industry-specific software and tools (e.g., PVsyst, PVSim, Aurora, SunEye, etc.)
- Experience training adult learners desired, and/or experience with instructional design or computer-based courseware development tools.
- Experience with design, engineering, and/or installation of solar + storage desired
- NABCEP and/or other industry certification
- Master Electrician or another industry-related licensure
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Individuals in this position may be required to obtain additional training and certifications to comply with SunPower policies such (but not limited to) as NFPA70E or First Aid/CPR.
- Occasional travel throughout the US may be needed with up to 25% average travel including overnight stays.
- When in the field individuals will be expected to be capable of performing tasks similar to those of an electrician or field technician.
- This is a hybrid position. Candidates are expected to be able to come into the Richmond office, but will be provided some flexibility to work from home. This includes frequent online meetings, on-camera presentations, and phone calls.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [ Email address blocked ] . Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
- Customer Satisfaction
- First Aid And Preparedness
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Instructional Design