Senior Mine Geologist
South32 is a globally diversified mining and metals company. We produce bauxite, alumina, aluminium, energy and metallurgical coal, manganese, nickel, silver, lead and zinc at our operations in Australia, Southern Africa and South America.
We are also the owner of a high-grade zinc, lead and silver development option in North America and have several partnerships with junior explorers with a focus on base metals.
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
We are trusted by our owners and partners to realise the potential of their resources.
Cannington is one of the world's largest and lowest-cost producers of silver and lead. Located in northwest Queensland, Cannington boasts an underground mine and processing facility situated approximately 800 kilometers west of Townsville and a concentrate handling facility at the Port of Townsville.
About the role
Reporting to the Geology Superintendent, the purpose of this role is to ensure geological information and geological interpretations are at the highest possible standard and communicated to relevant stakeholders. You will prepare and execute surface and underground drill programmes and schedules safely and effectively and mentor and coach direct reports to achieve their highest standard.
- Medium to long term diamond drill program planning and scheduling (surface and underground)
- Mentoring, coaching and supervision of direct reports.
- Review of outputs from direct reports i.e. stope assessments, diamond drill designs, core logging, mapping, ROM management, tonnes and grade tracking etc.
- Preparation of inputs into geological models including fault modelling.
- Generating grade control block models.
- Covering of geology departmental duties for leave if required.
- Monthly grade reconciliations of mill actual vs forecast
- Managing contractor invoice claims and accruals
- Ensure SWI, procedures and manuals are relevant and up to date.
- Setting of and reviewing performance of team’s KPI’s
- Innovating and improving workflows
- Assist site Exploration team when required
Cannington mine provides resort style onsite accommodation with laundry and meal services, as well as sporting and gym facilities and is FIFO from Townsville or Brisbane.
The ideal candidate will need to have the following:
- Underground hard rock experience
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy skills (particularly Datamine, Deswik, Leapfrog and Microsoft Office Applications)
- Ability to manage diamond drill programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geology or similar
- Minimum 5-10 years relevant industry experience
- Be proactive in identifying and improving workflows
- Deliver consistent and high quality work
- Competitive salaries.
- 4/3 Roster (with some 8/6 when required for coverage) from either Brisbane or Townsville.
- Industry leading parental leave and family care policy.
- Education and career development.
- Participation in the Employee Share Plan.
At South32, our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 embraces diversity and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Please note this job advert will close 24/06/2021.