Jacobs are committed to offering a career within one company and recognise the exceptional talent we have in our people. As Jacobs evolves, we want to inspire and empower you to deliver your best work, so you too can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
About the opportunity:
Radioactive Waste Management Consultant (Inventory & Compliance): We wish to recruit enthusiastic scientists to work in our office at Harwell near Oxford in the Radioactive Waste Management Consultancy Team. The successful candidates will focus on the development and assessment of radioactive waste inventories and characterisation data to support waste management strategies. They will also provide support to other projects in the areas of decommissioning and environmental management. The post offers the opportunity to apply your skills to solving real world problems for our customers. The vacancy provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to develop their careers in our technically and commercially challenging business.
Jacobs is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff. You will have excellent opportunities to drive your own progression in areas of technical, management and business development capabilities whilst broadening the wider interests of our company.
Work on a range of consultancy projects for customers including radioactive waste producers, radioactive waste management organisations and regulators, both in the UK and overseas. Work includes a wide variety of activities across the areas of integrated radioactive waste management, spent fuels and nuclear materials and site investigation/land quality including:
- Reviewing and assimilating numerical data/information including characterisation data and radionuclide inventories.
- Undertaking dose rate calculations.
- Development of basic Excel models to explore strategic options.
- Analysing problems and developing solutions. Support to radioactive waste management organisations to assess disposability cases and/or support the development of radioactive waste management cases.
- The development of radioactive waste management strategies including:
- consideration of the most appropriate method for treatment and/or disposal; and high level strategic studies to support and underpin decision-making at different stages of the radioactive waste lifecycle.
- Consideration of approaches for radioactive waste conditioning and packaging.
- Production of high quality technical reports on the outcome of your work.
- Interactions with and presentation of results to customers.
- Supporting other team members with business development activities.
- Delivering work to agreed timescales and cost.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Numerate with good knowledge of MS Excel
- Good technical writing skills.
- Flexible, innovative and keen to develop skills.
- Adaptable, able to work on a number of varied projects at the same time, prioritising as appropriate.
- Able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Enthusiasm to apply skills to the solution of real-world problems.
- Will need to be able to obtain appropriate security clearance.
- A good first degree (2:1 or better) or higher degree in a physical science or engineering discipline OR equivalent training/experience.
- VBA/modelling capabilities beneficial but not essential.
- Some experience or understanding of the nuclear industry would be beneficial.
- Understanding of waste disposal and treatment facility waste acceptance criteria.
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
- Environmental Resource Management
- Waste Management
- Professional Development
- Software Packaging
- Packaging And Labeling