Local Unit & Position Description
Would you like to influence the solar industry and have the opportunity to grow and thrive as a thought leader?
Are you committed to address climate change and positively impact society and the world?
Do you enjoy collaborating with colleagues and clients, and thrive in a dynamic and respectful environment?
Then a position in our Solar Independent Engineering and Technology Team may be a great fit for you!
DNV – Energy’s Renewables & Power Grids Advisory group is seeking a Solar Inverter Expert to join our team. DNV is a world class renewable energy consultant, and our respected staff is viewed as thought leaders in the industry. DNV’s Solar IE and Technology team holds a substantial market position in North America as a provider of independent engineering and bankability services to support the financing and construction of solar energy projects.
In this role, our team provides technical consulting and due diligence on behalf of project developers, financial institutions, and investors who rely on our reports in making investment and risk assessment decisions. This solar technology team also takes a leading role in conference participation, participation in codes/standards committees, and establishing internal and industry guidance on assessing technology risk for our teams in North America and globally. Our team is a high-performing, innovative team that strives for equity, respect, and diversity.
As a member of the Solar Technology team, the successful candidate will provide technical advisory and other consulting services associated with inverters used in solar and storage projects. The work will include technical due diligence of inverter systems for use in pre-construction, construction, and operational projects on behalf of lenders and investors. This position will also provide technical support and advisory services to project developers and product manufacturers, including bankability studies, failure analysis, support for RFPs, and technical specifications, among others. The role will include working with product manufacturers to opine on product design and expected reliability and managing relationships with applicable manufacturers and other stakeholders.
Performing technical reviews will require candidates who can assess detailed aspects of inverter design, including design of the power conversion stack, modeling of thermal behavior, modeling of control algorithms, and the ability to make recommendations on testing to validate product performance. The technical review will include an evaluation with respect to relevant codes and standards. The successful candidate should be familiar with the major suppliers of power conversion equipment in the solar, wind, and storage industry and with the primary technical differences between products and market segments.
This position will be located in our Portland,OR; San Diego, CA; Oakland, CA; Medford, MA; Austin, TX; Katy, TX; Dallas, TX offices, and has the option of being remote from any of our location across the continental US.
What You’ll Do
- Provide written and oral technical advice to customers including commenting on design, reliability, and cost aspects of solar PV inverters, and reviewing and commenting on engineering documentation relating to:
- Design and reliability aspects of power inverters/converters
- Grid connection contracts including all technical specifications and grid codes
- Manufacture and installation of power inverters/converters and associated equipment
- Electrical documentation relating to:
- Power converter design
- Testing of converter equipment
- Field and reliability data
- Operation and maintenance documents
- Produce detailed reports which review the feasibility of power conversion equipment used in solar/wind/energy storage projects.
- Provide recommendations for product improvements and risk mitigation.
- Manage stakeholder relationships to develop new business opportunities and promote complementary services from other parts of DNV. Activities will include development of proposal for product reviews, contributions to conference calls with new clients, and updates to internal sales and project tracking software applications.
- Provide electrical expertise concerning power conversion and electrical distribution equipment across the functions of design, test, and manufacture.
- Provide expertise regarding electrical codes and grid standards as related to solar/wind/energy storage design and field operation.
- Assess product design including aspects of power conversion, thermal design, and control strategies (which may involve bespoke calculations and/or simulations).
- Review manufacturing facilities for compliance with quality/safety procedures and practices.
- Travel to engineering/manufacturing facilities to review product design and manufacture, and to field sites to review installation, operation, and maintenance.
- Relate the results of inverter technical reviews to broader technical due diligence scopes by making recommendations regarding commercial and technical risk mitigation and financial model assumptions.
What is Required
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with a focus in power systems or power electronics from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience in a related field with at least 2 years of experience in the design and/or testing of power conversion equipment used in solar, wind, or energy storage applications.
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with UL 1741, IEEE 1547, IEC 62109.
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with North American standards, including NEC. Knowledge of equivalent international standards for power converters associated electrical equipment.
- General PV system design and factors that impact safety, and performance.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 15% of the time, domestically and internationally
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
What is Preferred
- A graduate degree.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license.
- Experience with simulation tools such as PSLF, PSSE, CYME, Spice, MATLAB/Simulink.
- Experience developing or implementing safety policies related to product design and testing.
- Additional preferred skills and experience :
- Familiarity with simulation tools/libraries such as PVsyst, SAM, PVLib
- Familiarity with R, Python, or other programming languages
- Some background in uncertainty, probability, and statistics
- Experience reviewing EPC and O&M contracts
- Experience with operational solar PV and/or storage assets and system reliability
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
Our mission is to safeguard life, property, and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion and want you to bring your whole self to work each day. Read more here:
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see:
[ Link removed ]
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act, DNV provides a reasonable range of compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado only, the range of starting pay for this role is $100000 - $155000
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.
- Business Development