Machine Design – Engineer III
Jacobs Technology Group is a performance unit of our Critical Mission Solutions (CMS) Line of Business. The Jacobs CMS Technology Group specializes in the design, construction, and operation of unique and complex research and development facilities, including, as examples, wind tunnels (aerospace, automotive, and motorsports), rocket test stands, climatic chambers, jet engine test cells, acoustic chambers, altitude test facilities, captive trajectory systems, and nuclear facilities. Our projects span the automotive, motorsports, defense, nuclear, and aerospace markets. Recent clients include Audi, Boeing, BMW, Fiat Chrysler, Ford, Honda, General Motors, NASA, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Department of Energy, Volkswagen, and many others in North America, Europe, and Asia.
Our capabilities and some recent project photos and videos can be found in downloadable files at [ Link removed ] Use “anontg” as both the user name and password.
Most of your designs will be unique, and you will usually be working on several projects at one time in a dynamic, challenging, and even fun environment. Many designs are “blank sheet of paper,” with few analogs or comparisons. This position will provide you with an exciting opportunity to join Machine Design projects as part of a multi-discipline team of professionals. We are looking for a Machine Design engineer who will work to ensure client satisfaction and deliver key Machine Design projects within scope, budget, and schedule. You should be a self-motivated professional with at least 7 years of progressive Machine Design experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Projects are often complex and multi-discipline. For the majority of assignments, Mid-level Engineers will be issued specific objectives, approaches, and possible solutions by a supervising engineer. The Mid-level Engineer:
- Independently performs project assignments that involve few complex features and can be guided by codes, standards, and other precedents of the discipline.
- Analyzes and/or evaluates the results of an analysis using techniques prescribed by senior engineers or supervisors.
- Accomplishes, complete tasks of limited scope or solves problems which require investigation of a limited number of variables.
- Prepares technical reports, presentations, and calculations.
- Coordinates the work of designer/drafters or junior engineers.
- May formally reviews the work of others for techniques and technical approach, if in area of specific technical expertise.
- Supports interface development with other disciplines, working closely with structural, mechanical process, controls and instrumentation, and aerodynamics/fluid dynamics engineers.
- Produces complete design packages, including detailed drawings, calculations, and specifications, as required.
- B.S.M.E. from an accredited engineering school
- Minimum of Seven (7) years’ relevant Machine Design experience (see “Adjacent Industries” below)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of common machine design elements: gears, bearings, belts, machine screws, chains, cams, linkages, gearmotors, servomotors, etc.
- Strong mechanical engineering analytical skills – kinematics, dynamics, stress/strain, power transmission, etc.
- FEA – static stress-strain, natural frequency
- Design for small-scale fabrication & manufacturing (milling, turning, welding, laser-cutting, forming, etc.)
- Design for assembly & installation
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in employing GD&T/ASTM Y14.5 in detailed design drawings; understanding of tolerance, fits, and stack-up analysis
- Scope/Schedule/Budget management
- 3D CAD experience, Inventor or Solidworks preferred
- Design for fiber-composites manufacturing (fiberglass, carbon fiber)
- FEA – thermal, non-linear, forced mode dynamics and multi-physics analysis, Ansys preferred
- Design experience with ASME B&PV Section VII, Div I & Div II
- Fluid Power – employing pneumatic/hydraulic cylinders, valve stand design, P&IDs, etc.
- Basic experience with machine instrumentation (proximity sensors, vision sensors, strain gauges, scales, etc.)
- Installation Support and Supervision – guiding and answering suppliers, sub-contractors and other trades questions from the office and on-site
- Aerospace & Defense Mechanical Design
- Factory Automation (material handling, web handling, process automation, etc.)
- Fluid Power (Hydraulics/Pnumatics)
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Jacobs is a drug-free workplace.