- BSc. degree or Higher in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized university; higher degree would be advantageous.
- A minimum of 15 years' experience in Mechanical engineering design in Oil & Gas Industry, with an Oil & Gas Company or Contractor/Consultant, of which of which at least 10 years should have been in offshore Oil & Gas processing projects.
- Of the 15 years' experience, a minimum of 8 years should have been a senior Mechanical Engineer in a major project and a minimum of 7 years as Lead Discipline in design of major projects in a reputable engineering consultant, EPIC contractors or Oil & Gas Company.
- Fully familiar with Shell DEP's and other international design codes and standards.
- Fully familiar with Mechanical engineering softwares and design review.
- Familiar with all types of FEED and EPIC deliverables, equipment, design and construction progress reviews.
- Proven ability to manage respective discipline engineering team in a major project environment.
- Fundamental knowledge to level of "proficient" or preferably level of " mastery" in respective discipline engineering with added strength in the other disciplines to level of " developed".
- Strong technical, planning, communication, reporting and leadership skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- To lead and be responsible for the Mechanical engineering input into the design, fabrication, construction, testing, installation and commissioning of the offshore facilities design of MM Redevelopment and PS-3 Life Extension project with focus on the successful execution of the project on time, within budget and in accordance with the agreed project requirements, specifications and standards. Accountable for the technical integrity of the engineering and design activities within the Civil/Structural discipline and for ensuring that safe, cost-efficient and on-time design is developed for the project.
- Accountable for the technical integrity of the engineering and design activities within the Mechanical discipline and for ensuring that safe, cost-efficient and on-time design is developed for the project.
- Be responsible for and provide direction to the technical services in the Mechanical engineering elements of the project scope, with special attention to the Design Basis, FEED and EPIC scope preparation and execution, design/safety/operations reviews, procurement of Equipment, factory acceptance test, vendor selection, and timely resolution of technical and engineering issues, in coordination with Engineering Manager, other discipline Heads and relevant QP stakeholders.
- Be the project's technical expert (TA-2) in the Mechanical discipline and will have Technical Authority for disciplines under his organisation. Will have the authority, depending upon their level of expertise/delegated authority, to approve any deviation from DEM-1 (Shall PS). However, they need to discuss the deviation with their reporting line i.e. Department Assistant Managers in Doha for their consent before giving their approval to any deviation to DEM-1 requirements. However, if a technical deviation is beyond their authority level then they are required to engage relevant (TA-1), essentially department Assistant Managers, for their review and approval of deviations to DEM-1 requirements.
- Responsible to provide sufficient information and technical justification to the Engineering Manager for any technical deviation for his final decision. Engineering Manager will have the delegated TA0 authority for final approval of any technical deviation.
- Responsible to thoroughly investigate any proposed technical deviation and ensure that the deviation doesn't compromise any safety in design but is helpful to optimise the design, improve the availability & operability of the facilities and will optimise project cost without impacting timely Project delivery.
- Ensure that risks associated with the technical deviations are as low as reasonably possible (ALARP) and properly documented.
- Lead the Mechanical team in developing design scope and ensure that all related deliverables are in compliance with the applicable codes, standards, Project and Corporate requirements and procedures.
- Coordination of all engineering related reviews including Design Reviews (ITR/PSDR/DRR etc.), ENVID, HAZID, HAZOP, SIL, Bowties, ALARP, SAFOP, SIMOPS, 3D model reviews and Constructability etc. To ensure that all the relevant documents are in place to carry out these reviews effectively and efficiently.
- Coordinate and align the Mechanical discipline interfaces between the project phases and direct the contractors design efforts accordingly taking into account safety, start-up, cost and constructability impacts.
- Establish professional work relationships with FEED and EPIC contractor, represents QP's interest and direct contractors with any technical queries and interpretation of scope, specifications and standards.
- Maintain an overview of the project Mechanical capability and highlight to Engineering Manager any critical resourcing issues.
- Participate in Project Assurance reviews and Audits and ensure findings are effectively closed-out.
- Provide technical guidance and prepare the Mechanical engineering specific elements for the FEED and EPIC tender, procurement activities, technical bid evaluation, technical queries raised by contractors.
- Participate in Technical bid evaluation and provide necessary guidance in selecting the FEED and EPIC Contractors.
- Lead the selection of suitable technology, equipment, field devices, and other Mechanical specific systems as per design, evaluate options and select best techno-economic solutions for project facilities.
- Endorse the Mechanical design calculation reports, system studies, design philosophies, software model input and output, drawings, data bases, specifications and vendor data.
- Provide technical guidance during engineering stages of the project and monitor the implementation of QA/QC processes, in order to achieve deliverables and facilities that meet project requirements.
- Provide guidance and support to conduct Safety and Design Reviews in coordination with other discipline Heads and Mechanical Engineers.
- Supervise team members and support the development of Qatari Nationals by ensuring that they receive proper job training and development.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering Design Process
- Product Quality Assurance
- Technical Services