Sempra is a California-based energy infrastructure company leading the energy transition and serving more consumers in North America than any other utility holding company. Our mission is to be North America's premier energy infrastructure company, delivering affordable, reliable and increasingly decarbonized energy to the markets we serve, including California, Texas, Mexico and global power generation markets. We have consistently been recognized for our leadership in sustainability, and diversity and inclusion. Our company is the only US utility company named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. We are also a member of the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index and recently named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for 2021 by Fortune Magazine, the eleventh consecutive year our company has received this honor. The Sempra companies' more than 19,000 employees are united by our vision to deliver energy with purpose and live our values every day – doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. Visit our sustainability report to learn more about our company, including our bold goals relating to achieving world class safety, championing people, driving resilient operations and enabling the energy transition: [ Link removed ]
A career at Sempra presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
This position in Sempra’s corporate tax group will support all areas of income taxation, including tax provision, compliance, planning, regulatory, and audit under the direction of senior staff and manager. In general, a Tax Analyst will: (1) assist with tax filing requirements and financial statement tax disclosures for Sempra’s regulated and unregulated businesses, (2) analyze and quantify any tax impact to the company of current tax law and proposed tax legislation, (3) assist with responses to tax and/or financial statement audits, (4) research tax positions under the direction and guidance of senior tax members, (5) identify favorable or simplified alternative reporting positions, (6) assist with tax planning opportunities, and (7) assist with regulatory filings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Focus will primarily be on aspects of both tax accounting and tax compliance for assigned business units and entities. Responsibilities are as follows:
* Assist with monthly, quarterly and year-end tax accounting (ASC 740), including financial statement and regulatory tax disclosures.
* Prepare federal, state & local income and franchise tax returns, and quarterly estimated tax payments.
* Assist with the tax requirements for financial forecasting and strategic planning.
* Assist with responses to audit inquiries from taxing authorities, and internal and external auditors.
* Monitor existing and emerging tax laws, legislation and rulings, GAAP, and SEC regulations.
* Research, analyze, quantify, and effectively communicate tax accounting treatment for the tax provision and planning strategies and/or proper tax return reporting positions.
* Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the industry and the business.
* Develop and maintain professional business relationships with colleagues in tax and business units.
* Continuously seek to improve tax processes, identifying and making suggestions for ways to work more productively and efficiently using technology automation.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
* Master's Degree in Taxation and/or CPA license preferred.
* 3+ years tax experience required, preferably with a large CPA firm or large corporate tax department.
Skills and Abilities:
* Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
* Requires solid working knowledge of tax accounting (ASC 740) and tax compliance.
* Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
* Must have effective written and verbal communication skills.
* Requires tax research and documentation skills.
* Requires working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word; advanced knowledge preferred.
* Knowledge of other Microsoft Office products, CorpTax and SAP desirable.
* Knowledge of Alteryx or other data analytics tools desirable.
* Knowledge of PowerPlan fixed asset and tax provision platforms desirable.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Franchise Tax
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Financial Statements
- Corporate Tax
- Fixed Asset