You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
We are looking for engineers who are independent, self-motivated and meticulous who are interested in solving engineering problems daily. You will need to read and apply ABS Rules and Guides, and international regulations and standards from IMO, ASME, API, ISO etc. After conducting design review of the clients’ documents, you will also communicate with clients to resolve their engineering design problems. Besides interacting with clients, you will also be collaborating with engineers of other disciplines on more complex marine and offshore projects.
The Engineer performs engineering design review and analysis assignments normally involving a major project or several smaller, less complex projects. These projects, by nature of their complexity and difficulty, require the fully competent application of conventional knowledge in a particular field of engineering or science. Through broader and more technically challenging work assignments, the incumbent will develop a thorough understanding of policies, methods, and procedures.
What You Will Do:
- Under the supervision of an experienced engineer or engineering manager, performs detailed engineering review of plans as assigned for compliance with applicable Rules, Regulations, and contract commitments. Examples are plans for various equipment, machinery systems onboard marine vessels and offshore units, statutory documents and design calculations.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practices but may include moderately complex problems such as the resolution of conflicting design requirements, material standards or coordination of activities among other disciplines.
- Use ABS inhouse software or external software such as PVElite to perform calculations and evaluate designs of mechanical equipment such as winches, pressure vessels, propulsion shafting and piping.
- Drafts technically accurate and timely reports, and responses to client letters, faxes, and other forms of communication for review by an experienced engineer or engineering manager.
- Prepares accurate and timely weekly reports and billing on all work performed.
- Communicates the status of the current workload to all appropriate members of the team to ensure the needs of the clients will be met.
- May propose technical advice to field operations and other technical offices.
- May propose new approaches to problems encountered and make recommendations for changes in methods, procedures, or designs.
- May work directly with clients to identify and resolve problems in technical expertise.
- Works as a team member within the group. May work autonomously, once trained, with minimal supervision.
- Implements and maintains ABS Quality System requirements relative to responsibilities after undergoing ABS Quality System training.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other related disciplines.
- The following are new hire requirements for university graduates and experienced engineers from the industry :
Graduate from University:
For those with seven (7) years or fewer Machinery backgrounds or experience
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related disciplines.
Experienced Engineer from Industry
- Seven (7) years or more of related engineering experience in a design/consulting office, marine equipment company, or a classification society or
- Seagoing engineering license or professional/chartered engineer license and four (4) years or more of related engineering experience in a design/consulting office, marine equipment company, or classification society.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of related technical disciplines required.
- The ability to identify, analyze and propose solutions to problems (i.e., the competence to demonstrate complex problem-solving skills).
- Good command of the English language.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to obtain a working knowledge of the ABS Health, Safety, Quality, and Environmental Management Systems.
- The incumbent will report to a senior-level engineer or technical manager. This position has no direct reports.
- Attention To Detail
- Chartered Engineer
Job ID: 465