We Are Sempra: Advancing a Better Future for All
As a premier energy infrastructure company serving 36 million consumers in North America, Sempra embraces its role as a leader in advancing a net-zero future. At Sempra, you can help shape a better future for our communities and our planet, alongside a workforce of 19,000 talented teammates. As an equal opportunity employer, Sempra is proud to bring together people with diverse perspectives and experiences. The company is consistently recognized for its sustainable business practices and long-standing commitment to building a high-performing culture focused on safety, workforce development and training, and diversity and inclusion. Sempra is the only North American utility sector company included on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index and was also named one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for 2021 by Fortune Magazine. Join us as we collaborate in providing cleaner, safer and more reliable energy to our customers and communities.
This position leads Sempra Energy's 5 Year Planning process, which includes the modeling, consolidation, and analysis of Sempra's corporate wide long-range plan that will be used for strategic decision making and goal setting and is also provided to outside parties such as Rating Agencies and Bankers. Additionally, this position acts as an advisor to senior management (CFO, Controller, Treasurer and other VPs) for business issues impacting corporate financial performance. Position provides direction to Senior Analysts and Analysts within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* 5 Year Planning Process
* Lead the functional processes that ensure Senior Management’s vision of Sempra’s 5 Year Plan.
* Coordinate the timing and development of Sempra’s 5 Year Planning calendar.
* Create structure and instructions as to how the plan should be developed.
* Develop company-wide planning assumptions.
* Work with Business Units with diverse and complex issues ranging from regulatory to trading.
* Work closely with Treasury and Tax groups to ensure proper financing and tax treatment.
* Oversee the consolidation of the corporate wide financial plan.
* Work closely with the 1 Year Planning group in order to improve integration of data and to facilitate seamless transfer of Strategic and Operational forecasts.
* Understand and integrate any new short-term assumptions provided by the 1 Year group.
* Forecasting Analysis
* Apply business and financial knowledge to audit Business Unit submissions for sound finance and accounting.
* Act as advisor to Business Units on financial concepts and/or accounting changes.
* Forecast high-level financial issues such as Equity offerings, Share Dilution, Acquisitions and Divestitures.
* Determine Sempra’s optimal Capital Structure.
* Perform economic evaluations of projects and/or Business Units.
* Financial Modeling
* Maintain and continuously improve Sempra’s company wide 5 Year Financial Planning model.
* Update for changing issues at Business Units, new tax methodology, Treasury needs and new GAAP requirements.
* Use broad financial knowledge to understand financial interdependencies in order to facilitate necessary changes.
* Develop and integrate new models to help Sempra’s overall financial forecasting reliability and consistency.
* Special Projects Financial Modeling of technical corporate restructurings.
* Modeling of high-level finance with conceptual and theoretical accounting concepts.
* Research, understand and plan for hybrid financial instruments.
* Perform Ad Hoc analysis of optimal capital structures, project viability, and arbitrage opportunities.
* Financial modeling of the impact of new governmental/regulatory decisions on Sempra.
* Senior Management
* Support Develop Presentations for Senior Management and the Sempra Board of Directors that convey Sempra’s strategic direction.
* Be the source for answers to Senior Management questions regarding underlying assumptions and detailed data.
* Work with Senior Management to develop company wide earnings targets and near term incentive compensation targets.
* Rating Agency and Banker Presentations
* Design and develop presentations for Rating Agencies and Bankers. Prepare multiple financial scenarios.
* Understand key financial drivers and their impact on Sempra’s credit worthiness.
* Calculate financial ratios in accordance with latest Wall Street methodology.
* This role involves direct interaction with outside agencies and the results are a major determinant of Sempra’s Credit Rating.
* Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
* Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent required.
* Master's Degree preferred.
* 8+ years relevant experience, preferably with a Fortune 500 Company with multiple business units.
* Must reside in Southern California or be willing to relocate upon hire.
Licenses and Certifications:
* Professional certification (CFA, CPA, CMA, Etc) preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
- Consolidation (Financial)
- Decision Making