Position: Director, TaxLocation: Newark, DE
Responsible for exhibiting Chesapeake Utilities Corporation’s Mission, Vision and Values, regarding external customers, agencies, vendors, internal departments and co-workers. This Director of Tax role has a wide range of responsibilities with respect to federal, state and local tax accounting, compliance and research with a focus on Chesapeake’s utility and non-utility businesses. The position reports to the Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer and has high visibility to the CFO and members of the Company’s leadership team. The position has 3 direct reports, as well as responsibility for managing third party-vendor relationships.
Primary duties and responsibilities include:
• Leads the interim and annual income tax accounting processed to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing, reviewing, and documenting supporting calculations and income tax accounting positions as well as executing internal control reviews.
• Lead the income tax compliance function to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing and reviewing Federal and state income tax calculations, income tax returns, extensions and estimated tax payments, as well as researching and documenting income tax positions. Responsibilities also include responding to notices from taxing authorities.
• Supports the regulatory filing and forecasting process to ensure accurate and timely reporting. Responsibilities include preparing and reviewing tax related details supporting rate case filings and projected income tax obligations as well as scenario modeling.
• Independently research and conclude on various complex tax issues to determine the appropriate tax treatment and related reporting. Research includes preparing written memorandums for review and technical presentations to the leadership team. Investigate, conclude, and respond to inquiries regarding tax matters made by organizations within Chesapeake.
• Analyze and interpret changes to federal and state tax laws as well as communicate financial impact of changes. Assist in controversy matters with governmental agencies including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service, regulatory agencies, and other state taxing authorities. Activities include assisting in formulating position statements with respect to identified controversies raised by authorities
• Mentor and develop staff including providing feedback and direction on assignments and projects with a focus on the Chesapeake’s core competencies and values.
• Proactively identify, drive, and implement process improvements that promote risk management, streamline activities, and enhance transparency in tax work streams. Participate in project planning and support special projects.
• Oversee Federal and State corporate income tax, sales and use tax and property tax, in addition to other tax related issues.
• This position has 3 direct reports and is based in Newark, DE with travel to Chesapeake’s other office locations as necessary. The position also manages third party consultant relationships associated with Chesapeake’s tax compliance process.
Requires……a total commitment to Chesapeake Utilities Corporation’s Mission, Vision and Values and:
• 10 years or more of professional corporate tax experience focusing on publicly traded companies, including a combination of industry and either public accounting or law firms
• Ability to perform legal and tax research
• Good working knowledge of all major areas of federal and state corporate tax law
• Proficient analytical ability to resolve complex, technical issues
• Proficient writing and communication skills
• Proficient technical skills, including MS Office products and related tax systems
• Bachelors’ degree in Accounting or Tax
• 5 years or more of professional tax experience focusing on publicly traded utility companies
• Certified Public Accountant or other financial certification and/or advanced degree (JD or MST or LLM)
• Experience with PowerPlan’s PowerTax, Onesource, ERP etc.
• Office Surrounding
Chesapeake Utilities Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors. Applicants with a disability that need assistance applying for a position may email [ Email address blocked ] or Ruth Warner, Director, Human Resources Operations at [ Email address blocked ] .
- Property Tax
- Use Tax
- Corporate Tax
- Internal Controls
- State Income Tax
- Income Tax