UGI Utilities, Inc. is a natural gas and electric utility company committed to delivering reliable, safe and affordable energy to our 700,000 customers in 45 counties in Pennsylvania and 1 county in Maryland. We pride ourselves on being a responsive, engaging energy company. The foundation of our success lies in the strength of our 1,700 plus employees who strive to exceed the expectations of our customers and the communities we serve every day.
We offer comprehensive benefits, some of which are:
- medical, prescription, dental, vision, life insurance
- disability plans
- 401(k) matched savings plan
- paid vacation
- company stock purchase program
- wellness programs
- tuition reimbursement
- paid parental leave
- paid volunteer time
- adoption assistance
This Engineer position would be responsible to design natural gas facilities for replacement and/or upgrade. The facilities include mains, services, pressure regulation stations, and metering and regulation stations. Determine mains for replacements due to leakage, or system reinforcement, and subsequent inclusion in the annual budget. Develop project estimates, upload and manage the projects in the various work order systems, and coordinate workload priorities regarding the design and implementation of projects. Obtain and/or coordinate bidding, permitting and material obtainment necessary for projects. Determine necessary facility relocations and adjustments due to other utility improvements, and municipal highway reconstruction or paving. Support the various operations departments, including field support, with technical and project management assistance during facility installations. Act as crew supervisor on a rotating on-call basis, for after-hours emergencies. Assist others in Area Engineering with their projects when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinated Work Review
- With guidance from peers & supervision, review roadway construction plans from the State, municipalities, contractors and/or developers for conflicts and/or needed system maintenance to be done in coordination with proposed construction activity.
Planning System Facility Replacements
- For non-complex projects initially, learn to research internal records and assess system conditions via MapFrame, Optimain, network analysis, etc. for planning system facility replacements due to condition or pressure needs.
Project Communication and Internal Coordination
- Communicate and internally coordinate workload priorities, C&M installation concerns, project manpower requirements, materials procurement, permit application, etc. regarding the design and implementation of projects.
Project Design and Estimating
- With less supervision/mentoring over time, design and estimate costs for non-complex/typical distribution system additions and modifications including utilizing Design Manager/DOJM and/or Avenir combined with the Annual Pipeline Contract to cost-effectively specify design parameters and to select contractors, and/or create bid packages.
Project Scope Monitoring
- Learn to monitor projects for actual installation (and cost containment) versus design including field coordination during construction, assessment of project costs using Oracle, creation of change orders, post-construction debriefing with C&M, etc.
- Complete all other work assignments and special projects as directed by the Manager Area Engineering/Sr. Manager Area Engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of engineering and construction techniques, and applicability to natural gas industry regulations, materials, practices and procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills especially mapping and technical programs.
- Knowledge or experience in project management desired.
- Background in AutoCAD or other computer aided design programs desired.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Engineering
UGI Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. As such, the Company abides by the requirements of the Executive Order 11246, 41 CFR 60-741.5(a), and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). The Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, age, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally protected class in its practices.
Successful applicants shall be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment, and if hired, shall be subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with UGI policies. As a federal contractor that engages in safety-sensitive work, UGI cannot permit employees in certain positions to use medical marijuana, even if prescribed by an authorized physician. Similarly, applicants for such positions who are actively using medical marijuana may be denied hire on that basis.