TITLE: Chemical Process Engineer – System Design
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At its core, the company is working to raise living standards globally through a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy along with innovations in medical isotopes to improve human health. In 2006, TerraPower originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications – all for significant human health benefits.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward-thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape and bringing forward the critical production of medical isotopes. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Chemical Process Design Engineer – System Design
TerraPower, LLC, is seeking a highly motivated Chemical Process Engineer to support the engineering efforts of the System Design Discipline team. This role will work as part of a high functioning team of engineers and scientists focused on the development and design of processes and systems for the Molten Chloride Reactor Experiment (MCRE), a critical fast-spectrum molten salt microreactor relevant to TerraPower’s Molten Chloride Fast Reactor (MCFR) design. Your role will include interfacing with a team of scientists and engineers with both experimental and process design activities. You will investigate and develop creative solutions for the MCFR and associated MCRE subsystems. Candidates must have extensive experience in one or more of the following areas: chemical engineering, chemical process design, plant design, and corrosion, with an ability to document design efforts according to the highest quality standards, such as NQA-1.
- Interface with various project teams to develop chemical processes/systems that meet programmatic objectives for a wide range of MCFR initiatives, including fuel salt synthesis, fuel salt polishing, fuel salt sampling, and fuel salt disposal process engineering tasks.
- Coordinate input and requirements from program management, engineering, and analysis teams to produce experimental design solutions.
- Apply Systems Engineering principles and methods (e.g. requirements definition, interface management) to the design of nuclear and industrial facilities and their systems.
- Generate system process design work packages.
- Support experimental, analytical, and design work of other engineers, scientists and subject matter experts on the MCRE project design team .
- Present designs and analysis results for design reviews.
- Develop test requirements and plans for testing unique phenomena in a high-temperature molten salt environment and interface with the responsible groups for laboratory-scale testing activities.
- Perform analysis on test data and generate technical reports to document new knowledge related to reactor design and qualification.
- Provide engineering design support for the procurement of engineered components and systems within the chemical process systems of the project.
- Perform oversight and manage execution of external procurements of materials, equipment, and services, including authoring procurement requisitions and managing supplier performance to plan.
- Support development and maintenance of discipline resources (guides, procedures, software, etc.) to meet discipline and project needs.
- Provide planning and schedule input for MCFR projects, and associated design activities.
- Interface with subcontractors and partners to aid in integration of their work.
- Support continuous learning and application of nuclear industry best practices in order to maintain the highest quality of engineering design and proactively identify process change/enhancement opportunities.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in Chemical engineering or equivalent.
- Recognized experience with 7+ years in the field of chemical engineering or equivalent.
- Experience with chemical engineering design and analysis software tools such as ASPEN+, ChemCAD, HYSYS, GoldSim or equivalent required.
- Demonstrated experience with process/system design including PFDs, P&IDs, and ability to specify components and systems.
- Experience with engineering tools such as AutoCAD and Mathcad are a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Experience with molten salt or other high-temperature fluid systems desired.
- Experience with corrosive fluid/metal interaction, corrosion of steels, nickel alloys and/or refractory metals desired.
- Demonstrated strong analytical/problem solving skills, creative thinking.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and possess ability to coordinate and lead a design effort with minimal direction.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Nuclear design experience desired, but not required.
- Experience writing specifications for the procurement, fabrication, or testing of components is desired.
- Experience with Python and data science are a plus.
- Working knowledge of ASME component design (Section III, Section VIII, B31.3 etc) is a plus.
- Experience working to quality standards such as ASME NQA-1, ISO 9001, or equivalent.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting and/or standing for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standard and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required: 0-10%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply