Our Brand Values
Greenlee and RIDGID tools are used in some of the most demanding environments around the world by millions of trade professionals. Building the next generation of these great products requires an engineering team that values quality, innovation, agility, and collaboration.
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for creative, self-directed individuals who have an aptitude for electronics and firmware, who enjoy collaboration, who love working on innovative products, who want to learn and share, and who want to make an impact. This position will be based out of our Elyria, OH or Rockford, IL offices.
We are looking to grow our team with an experienced firmware development engineer. This person will expand our capabilities to develop smart and IoT connected tools. Professional Tools has a bright future in this space and is looking for motivated individuals to help us design and build the next generation of technology-enabled products.
We need individuals who can evaluate new technologies and sensors, working with teams to design electronics modules and the firmware that controls them. The Embedded Firmware Engineer needs to be hands-on to make full use of our Electronics Lab and prototyping capabilities.
We are looking for team players who want to collaborate in a cross-functional environment to design and build new tools and innovative solutions that meet or exceed our customers’ expectations. Other team members regularly consist of Mechanical Engineers and Software Developers, as well as individuals from the Sourcing, Marketing, Quality Assurance, and Manufacturing teams.
If you have a strong interest in electronics, connectivity, the “Internet of Things” (IoT), and controls; and if you want to play a vital role in the future of the most trusted brands in the business, then you’ll be a great fit!
Why Are We Hiring an Embedded Firmware Engineer?
Our portfolio of connected products continues to expand, and so does our need for Embedded Firmware developers. Connected products require an in-depth understanding of the technologies involved – this includes not only capabilities but also size, durability, and cost. With the proliferation of mobile apps and cloud-based solutions, we need to stay in-tune with connectivity solutions like Bluetooth, cellular, Wi-Fi, etc. We’re looking to hire an Embedded Firmware Engineer who can do the hands-on activities of an engineer while helping to shape our broader connected tools strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, test, and deploy embedded firmware to control tool functionality
- Translate customer needs to functional requirements and initial concepts
- Collaborate with engineers and software developers to design electronics solutions and communication protocols for mobile apps or cloud solutions (e.g. via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi)
- Conduct concept or feasibility studies for control logic and other electronics applications
- Drive projects to timely completion by close collaboration with other functional team members
- Organize engineering tasks to meet completion dates and technical specifications
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Knowledge of Windows, Linux and Embedded Linux Operating Systems
- Experience with embedded software development in C and C (ARM GCC Toolchains)
- Experience with embedded hardware, including FPGA, ARM/Cortex microcontrollers, PSoCs, and motor controls
- Experience working with Bluetooth/BLE, Wi-Fi, or cellular-enabled products
- Experience with embedded drivers, video drivers and serial communication drivers (PWM, UART, SPI, LCD, etc.)
- Experience developing electro-mechanical products
- Familiar with:
- Embedded APIs and SDKs
- Software design processes, tools, and best practices
- Electrical schematics and an understanding of component placement on PCBs
- iPhone / Android-based apps
- GUI-based systems
- At least five years of experience in embedded firmware development
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication
- Ability to work independently with little guidance
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- A Bachelor of Science degree in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, or related discipline is required. Experience in firmware engineering or a related environment is mandatory for this position.
- Action Oriented
- Communicates Effectively
- Drives Results
- Cultivates Innovation
- Optimizes Work Processes
Perks and Benefits
- Matching 401k and Defined Contribution
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Employee discounts
- Tuition assistance
- Short/Long Term Disability
No calls or agencies please. Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by calling
(V/TTY/TDD) or by sending an email to [ Link removed ] . About Emerson
Imagine being surrounded by intelligent, driven, and passionate innovators all working toward the same goal—to create groundbreaking solutions that leave our world in a better place than we found it. Emerson is a global technology and engineering company providing innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets.
Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production, protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency, and create sustainable infrastructure.
A dynamic environment is what you’ll discover at Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $14.5 billion in sales and 155 manufacturing locations worldwide. Together, we’re changing the world, and we have all the resources to help you achieve your professional goals.
Whether you’re an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options, or recently received your MBA degree, you’ll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.
Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter
Serial Peripheral Interface
Pulse Width Modulation
Liquid Crystal Display (Lcd)