LOCATION: Mississauga, Ontario
JOB NUMBER: 43781
Why you should join us:
We are living in an era of transformation – as a company, as an industry and as a global community. Suncor is evolving and technology and digital solutions are a big part of this. Unleashing the full potential of our people is what will get us where we need to be.
An essential part of our evolution is creating value through data and becoming a data-informed enterprise where employees can apply their knowledge, draw insights and make the best possible decisions. Hiring specialists like yourself will help us implement our Advanced Analytics strategy and transform our business. It’s all about strengthening our future through digital technology, unleashing the full potential of our people, and creating an engaging and productive workplace.
Over the past few months, we have been looking closely at the experience and skillsets required to help us transform. This type of role has been advertised under different titles (Big Data Engineer, Platform Specialist, etc.), but we believe that Big Data Solution Architect encompasses everything we are looking for. We’re looking for someone who not only architects data engineering solutions for our analytics use cases, but who can also be the technical hands for their implementation and coordinate other teams in the creation of technical solutions for our analytics products. As a Big Data Solution Architect, you will leverage your technical and analytical skills throughout the entire DevOps lifecycle, to design, test and deploy data pipelines and analytics solutions into our environment.
If you’re passionate about data and want to work with people who provide insights into our most complex challenges through advanced analytics, this role is for you!
Join us and be part of transforming Suncor’s future!
You will use your expertise to:
- Work across multiple projects as a technical team member or lead, driving user story analysis and elaboration for data requirements
- Translate complex functional and technical requirements into detailed design, and then rapidly prototype those designs into solutions in an agile environment
- Collaborate effectively with diverse cross functional teams to ensure requirements and deliverables are met
- Steward and support the progression of solutions from development into production
- Document run books and facilitate knowledge shares with operational support
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Experience in data modelling and data mining techniques such as regression, clustering, and outlier detection
- Excellent grasp of cloud fundamentals and solutioning around PaaS (preference for Azure)
- Experience scripting with CLI, PowerShell, and data serialization languages
- Experience in languages such as C# and Python
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or a related technical field
- Exceptional business analysis and solution design thinking
- Proven communication and social skills
- Alignment with our [ Link removed ] : safety above all else, stronger together, operational discipline, curiosity and lifelong learning, and act with integrity
- Good understanding of DevOps principals and tools
- Experience with streaming ingestion and real-time data processing
- Knowledge of cluster computing technology and services
- Data Warehousing design experience a plus: data vault modeling, CDM, metadata management
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other important information:
- You will work out of our Calgary head office, located in the Suncor Energy Centre at 150 – 6th Ave S.W.
- Relocation support will be provided
- Your life outside of work is important to us, and we value a healthy work/life balance – our typical hours of work are 8-5, Monday to Friday, with some flexibility
- One of our values is curiosity and lifelong learning – we challenge the status quo and learn from and support each other to make the world a better place
- We are so invested in building advanced analytics skills within our organization that we've created the Analytics Academy to provide training to employees through instructor-led courses, e-learning, communities of practice, etc.
Supporting our people. Caring for our communities. Living our purpose.
With our operations declared an essential service, we are continuing to operate and are looking to fill business-critical roles at this time. We require qualified and safety-focused employees to help keep things running. In terms of our current recruitment process, we’re doing things a bit differently to adjust to our new ‘normal.’ We are using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and we are well set up for remote onboarding and orientation.
We are bolstered by the unity across our community and the solidarity across the world. We continue to encourage you to support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygience practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you. For more information on how we’re responding to COVID-19, click [ Link removed ] . #StrongerTogether
We are Canada's leading integrated energy company with a [ Link removed ] that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – if it isn't safe, we don't do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on [ Link removed ] mean tremendous potential for the future. [ Link removed ]
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Real Time Data
Meta Data Management