Project Engineering Manager – Grid Scale Battery Storage, salary range £50,000 - £65,000, London UK.
This is a great opportunity for a commercially & technically astute project engineering professional with experience in the battery storage market to join a heavily invested, fast growing network & infrastructure businesses. The Company
The company is an investment / development firm formed by experienced partners and backed by substantial international investors with an outstanding pedigree in the financing and development of energy generation projects.
They have established themselves as a UK market leader in battery storage, with a substantial portfolio of operational grid-scale batteries and are also a leading firm in the financing and provision of turnkey solutions for electric vehicle fleets.
The firm is small but dynamic, very fast paced and growing. The role
You will bring a good understanding of procurement, proposal and project management and construction, have a proven experience of working on large scale battery projects, and have the engineering capability and credibility to manage projects and bids.
You will be working with the Directors and other members of the BD team, will be able to manage the day to day aspects of the project and bid delivery from concept to construction.
The role integrates with team members in procurement, legal, finance, engineering and construction to build complex, highly optimised projects backed up solid contracts.
You will be liaising with clients and managing external stakeholders. It will be a requirement to hit the ground running and to be comfortable operating at a rapid pace at times with high levels of ambiguity and the pressure of deadlines. Responsibilities:
- Leading day-to-day project management activities of large scale energy storage projects from deal closure to construction
- Building and managing proposals for large scale energy storage tenders
- Providing leadership and guidance to the entire project team including interfacing with internal engineering, procurement, legal, finance and construction teams
- Responsible for the development, review, and technical oversight of all engineering and design of energy storage proposals and projects
- Develop and/or review system designs, single lines, layouts, containerization, performance guarantees, availability guarantees, etc.
- Supporting procurement to negotiate compelling supplier and contractor proposals and contracts
- Building Capex and Opex models to support the finance team in closing the financing
- Maintain knowledge of applicable codes & standards and certifications in the energy storage industry
- Coordination with external stakeholders such as suppliers, contractors, landowners, permit agencies, lawyers and advisor
- Translating the impact of regulatory requirements and various applications on each project’s design and guarantees / warranties
- Supporting preparation of high quality internal InvestCom papers
- Supporting the closure of deals
- Helping manage client relationships post contract close as appropriate
- Develop strategic relationships with all project partners including suppliers, contractors, utilities, landowners, permitting authorities, lawyers and advisors
- Project and proposal management
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel) and MS Project
- Ability to use CAD or other design software
- High quality education (bachelor’s degree or masters) in electrical engineering
- A genuine passion in clean energy and our social and environmental mission
- Solid work experience (5-10 years) in project engineering / management / procurement / technical consultant in energy storage or renewables sectors
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong planning, risk management and organisational skills, team player
- Pragmatic, proactive and solution driven
- Strong commercial skills – comfortable with legal contracts and project commercials
- Excellent communication skills, capable of presenting project updates
- Knowledge of the UK energy storage landscape
- Must have hands-on technical experience with large scale energy storage projects
- Must have a sound understanding of the technical, performance, and integration of Li-Ion batteries as part of energy storage project
- Must have experience with DNO and TO connection works and Balance of Plant equipment
- Good experience dealing with customers and suppliers
- Ability to work in the HQ in London and travel UK wide and internationally (currently home working in place)
- Desire to work in a fast moving, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment
- Experience in renewables, and/or EV infrastructure
- Knowledge of the US and Australia markets
A competitive remuneration package is available, based on quality and range of experience c. £50,000 - £65,000. Good opportunity for personal growth and responsibility
- Attention To Detail
- Commercial Awareness