At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The position is a director level government and regulatory affairs position for Exelon Corporation and reports to the Vice President, Federal Government Affairs. The position is involved in all aspects of the federal affairs department, including lobbying strategy and execution, trade association participation, and leveraging Executive participation in the federal legislative arena. The primary function of this position is to serve as a federal lobbyist for all internal Exelon Corporation clients, advocating for and advancing clients’ federal affairs agenda, strategy and political outreach with the U.S. Congress, trade associations, political organizations and other stakeholders and organizations. In addition, for certain issues as assigned by the Vice President, Government Affairs, this position serves as an issue manager responsible for leading, coordinating and integrating all public affairs initiatives, programs, communications and activities with key stakeholders to support the strategic needs of the business. The position assists the Senior Vice President (SVP), Federal Governmental & Regulatory Affairs in identifying and analyzing issues of interest to the corporation, and in developing and implementing a legislative strategy for achieving such policies.. The position also assists the Senior Vice President Federal Regulatory Affairs and Public Policy, as needed, on federal regulatory matters before any and all Federal Regulatory agencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Assist Federal Affairs management in development and implementation of strategies to promote Federal public policy positions to benefit Exelon. Work closely with Exelon Federal Affairs and business unit management to identify and assess issues of importance to Exelon customers, employees and shareholders and to identify public policy objectives for key issues. Work with internal customers, consultants, trade associations and other allies to develop and implement strategy for achieving public policy objectives. (30%)
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key Members of Congress and Congressional staff such as Congressional delegations in Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas; House and Senate leadership, Democrat and Republican, Key House and Senate committee members and staff and in states and districts where we own assets. (35%)
- Promote Exelon public policy positions with national trade associations and other key allies such as, American Gas Association, Edison Electric Institute, Electric Power Supply Association, Nuclear Energy Institute, Clean Energy Group, COMPETE and other trade organizations that Exelon may join and or support. For key issues, identify traditional and non-traditional allies to promote policy objectives. (15%)
- Work with Exelon outside consultants to promote Exelon political and policy goals (15%)
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Political Action Committee (PAC) strategy, including solicitation and distribution of funds and assuring compliance with Federal election law. (5%)
- Serves as a key company liaison with Federal legislative and Executive Branch officials on policy issues.
- Leads the development and implementation of corporate strategy on Federal public policy issues, which could have a multi-billion dollar impact on the company's customers, employees and shareholders over the long term.
- Internally, interacts with and advises executive leadership of the corporation on policy issues as both a technical and business savvy professional; also interacts with other Exelon executives and key managers both in the course of regular business and also to assist in leadership development activities.
- Externally, interacts with Members of Congress and staff, Senior White House and Administration officials; senior executives from other energy companies; and trade association executives and staff.
- Formulate corporate issue positions; provide legislative analysis, issue tracking, and early warning to corporation on threats/opportunities posed by legislative or regulatory developments.
- Policies are anticipated to have both strategic and economic impact on the business.
- Reports to the Senior Vice President of Federal Government Affairs.
- Supervises Manager, Federal Government Affairs.
- Work with external consultants.
- 4-year degree and a minimum of 12 or more years of professional experience in the electric and gas industry or in government, at least 4 years of which have been involved in the public policy arena.
- A complete understanding of the Federal legislative and regulatory process.
- A fundamental understanding of the electric and gas energy industry and key public policy issues affecting the industry.
- An ability to understand complex issues and the implications or current financial, energy, legal and labor issues for Exelon and the industry.
- A track record of advocating high profile agendas and/or issue campaigns through complex political and regulatory environments and the broader public policy arena or participation in consideration of such issues in government bodies.
- Strong consultative and interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups of individuals inside and outside large companies, lobbyists, federal and state elected and appointed officials and regulators, trade and business associations, foundations, political organizations, and public interest groups.
- Must have exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Absolute integrity and discretion.
- Law degree or Master's degree in business, engineering, political science, public policy or related field.
- A wide network of contacts within the business community, federal government, elected officials, and public interest groups.
- Leadership positions in external trade associations, coalitions or industry organizations.
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
- Agenda Development