The Jacobs Power and Energy team provides a range of services to our Gas, Transmission and Distribution clients. This includes work on transmission system assets, HVDC interconnectors, energy storage systems, inertia systems, wind farms and advanced facilities for mission critical industries in the technology and process sectors. Our team has a clear focus on innovation, supporting industries and organisations focussed on decarbonisation of our energy systems. Jacobs have an exciting opportunity to recruit significantly, expanding wider into Europe with aspirations to resource large infrastructure projects in the region increasing our global capability.
The entire European Energy & Power sector is undergoing an unprecedented transformation due to global commitments to decarbonization. Right now, Jacobs is in planning phases on how to be a major contributor to the huge requirements regarding the change to the energy mix on Continental Europe. We believe that this sector will become Jacobs’ dominant sector in our European operations over the next 5-10 years.
We are looking for Electrical Plant Engineers of all levels to help us lead on the Energy Transition and shape the power systems of the future!
Plant Engineers are key component of a growth strategy to position Jacobs to meet the requirements of Energy Transition activities within the UK and Europe.
As part of our team, you’ll be providing a range of services throughout the design process on all elements of EHV and HV primary plant, including substations, energy storage systems and inertia plant. This includes feasibility design through to the preparation of technical specifications, production of detailed construction drawings and design compliance checks for our major energy clients.
Plant Engineer roles and responsibilities typically include:
• Working collaboratively with multidisciplinary design teams including HV Substation Plant, Protection & Control, HV Cable, Civil Engineers and CAD Technicians.
• Coordination of inputs being provided by other departments and external groups, such as survey/geotechnical, transport and environmental.
• Managing agreed project programmes and deliverables
• Ensuring the design meets all the client’s scoping requirements and compliance with their technical specifications
• Conducting engineering reviews, quality assurance checks and approval of design drawings, reports, construction programmes and other deliverables
• Attending Design Reviews, Hazard Reviews and other related meetings
• Technical interface with the client during the various design phases.
Jacobs is a “Relationship” focused company and the building and developing of these relationships with our clients is a significant and important part of this role.
You need to enjoy working in a team environment and where necessary use your expertise to guide other members of staff. You’ll also require the ability to deliver to tight timescales, be technically accurate and to manage a number of schemes simultaneously.
Strong verbal and written communication skills, and excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills are essential as part of this role.
Jacobs have a strong ethos for safety in our BeyondZero approach, so you would be expected to have a positive attitude to health and safety, especially to eliminate or reduce the risk early in the design process.
As a Plant Engineer, we’re looking for your background experience in the following:
• Bachelor’s Degree and/or Masters in Electrical Engineering, but candidates holding HNC/ HND qualifications and proven ability will also be considered
• Membership of a recognized professional institution /organization
• Technical experience in the design and application of EHV power system plant up to and including 132kV, including LV electrical systems and earthing design.
• An appreciation of inputs from other engineering disciplines (civil, protection & control)
• Technically decisive – able to find solutions to design challenges in an efficient way
• Proven track record at delivering innovative solutions
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Installation Work