Requisition ID: 124780
Job Level: Mid Level
Department: Project Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
As a Project Engineer, you will be responsible for the administrative and technical aspects of constructing a project, managing a team of field and cost engineers. Do you have strong interpersonal and information management skills? In this role, you will be the main conduit of information between the construction manager and the team for cost, revenue, cash flow information. Do you have strong mentorship skills? You will have the opportunity to develop the people below you. If this sounds like a match for you, read on!
Eastern Canada District's projects include highways, bridges, mass transit, mine site development & open pit operations, hydroelectric powerhouses, wind-power plants, dams & industrial. The serve the construction and mining industries and operates in Eastern Canada.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
- Develop complete understanding of contract plans and specifications
- Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost-saving measures that arise or that may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed
- Inspect subordinates’ work for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, point out deficiencies and explain and take any corrective action needed
- Listen to directions and suggestions from supervisors or other employees regarding safe and proper work practices. Evaluate that information to devise and implement a plan based on the evaluation for carrying out the duties of this position
- Observe functionality of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement
- Identify workplace safety hazards and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or minimize them
- Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back-up alarms, smell of smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens.)
- Understand and implement lockout/tagout procedures in a safe manner
- Develop and maintain the project master schedule using appropriate techniques and scheduling software with input from other project management personnel.
- Manage document control; receive and log in new issue drawings and other contract documents; maintain document control log
- Review new issue drawings and contract documents for change of conditions; quantify impact of changes and review with supervisor; distribute new issues to field
- Prepare monthly cost projections using information generated from project management systems and prepare quarterly cash flow projections
- Purchase and expedite delivery of materials; manage the material’s control operation
- Assist site manager in implementing the project quality/assurance control program
- Improve project operations by recommending, as appropriate, better methods, staffing and procedural changes
- Act as managing project engineer/coordinator on multiple projects, providing supervision and on-the-job training for lower level engineers
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions rapidly and accurately
- Read and understand plans and specifications. Visualize two-dimensional drawings in three dimensions
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in construction with an emphasis on safety
- Working knowledge and ability to direct the operation of at least the following management systems: accounts payable/accounts receivable, materials control, estimating, job cost updates and subcontracts
- Proven abilities and skills in the following: leadership and management of people, communication (verbal and written), planning, organization, delegation as well as teaching and mentoring
- Bachelor’s degree in a construction-related field or equivalent experience and education in project or field engineering
- Ability to relocate and travel as business needs arise
- Ability to set standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for his/her subordinates
- Ability to access all areas of the construction site
- Absent an approved exemption, due to federal, state, local, provincial and/or client-requirements, this position may require an individual to be fully vaccinated by a Health Canada-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccine or undergo weekly testing upon hire and as a condition of continued employment.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Business Requirements
- Cash Management
- Coaching And Mentoring