New York Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) is a five-year Avangrid project with a budget of ~$500 million and is considered essential for grid modernization. The NY AMI project includes replacing existing electric meters (1.3 million) and upgrading gas meters (600,000) with smart devices and implementing systems and processes to provide two-way communication with smart meters. AMI will provide near real-time meter data to improve Avangrid customer service, support power restoration efforts, improve power quality, and further enable energy conservation efforts.
This data analytics focused position will function as a member of the NY AMI project team to provide support, oversight, and management of data processes, perform data modeling, and complete analysis to guarantee accurate data collection within the NY AMI Head End System (HES), and Meter Data management (MDMS) systems.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to identify insights from large data sets, develop reports, and succinctly communicate resulting strategic opportunities to subject matters experts within Avangrid IT, Telecommunications, Distribution Automation, Customer Service, Electric Operations, Gas Operations.
This position will eventually transition to the OSG Smart Metering department which is responsible for strategy, enterprise planning, operation, and compliance of metering systems in Maine, Connecticut, and New York.
Skills and Requirements
- Perform, manage, and optimize data extraction / intake, cleansing, and validation of massive volumes of data with high accuracy and attention to detail leveraging XML, MS Access, Excel, SQL / Oracle queries, PowerBi, MicroStrategy, or other similar programs.
- Lead cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities. Use expert level knowledge of AMI infrastructure and process flow to collaborate with business clients to propose and outline changes or improvements to both the technical and functional levels of AMI systems.
- Build, design and maintain data models, reports, visualization dashboards, and performance metrics to support key business decisions.
- Design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze business functions and key operations and performance metrics.
- Examine, interpret, and effectively communicate results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders.
- Proactively identify data anomalies, evidence of network risks, issues, meter failures, meter tampering, energy diversion, failed / warned tasks, translation timeouts, interval and register data drops, and failed or rejected validations / edits.
- Analyze possible solutions, organize, and drive successful use cases following standard practices and procedures.
- Oversee the data/report requests process: tracking requests submitted, prioritization, approval, etc.
- Provide expedient and detailed support to the HES & MDMS data users, and function as a Smart Metering liaison to produce specific requests or ad-hoc system operation reports.
- Support cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Manage and optimize processes for data intake, validation, mining, and engineering, as well as modeling, visualization, and communication deliverables.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Technology or Statistics, or a minimum of 5 years’ experience monitoring, managing, manipulating, and drawing insights with data. Associates Degree and relevant work experience required.
- Strong ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries.
- Experience working with and creating databases and dashboards.
- Working knowledge of data mining principles: predictive analytics, mapping, collecting data from multiple data systems.
- Understanding of and experience using analytical techniques and concepts: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for business units.
- Experience and knowledge of statistical modeling techniques: multiple regression, logistic regression, log-linear regression, variable selection, etc.
- Technical background and experience in one or more of the following preferred:
- Technical hardware design and architecture.
- Linux/Unix Operating System.
- Networking and Topology / understanding of high-level network and security concepts, radio networks, firmware updates, wireless protocols, FCC regulations.
- Network functionality and tools including SSH, traceroute, ping, understanding of DHCO, VPN technologies, and firewall concepts.
- Relational DMBS (Oracle/SQL Server/MySQL).
- Windows Server OS and Creating .NET web services.
- Bash/Perl/Python scripting or JAVA on Linux.
- ESRI’s Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Information systems experience utilizing ITIL principles.
- Experience in development of reports and dashboards with Microsoft Power BI.
- Familiarity with SAP and or ServiceNow applications preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Knowledge of electric and/or gas utility operations preferred.
- Previous work experience in IT, operational telecom, data analytics, or network or systems engineering preferred.
- Must possess excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to work well and interact with other team members.
- Must possess strong problem-solving, leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Must possess critical thinking skills and ability to adapt to rapid project changes.
- Demonstrated track record of learning new technologies and systems, building cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders, and solving complex technical issues preferred.
Our Selection ProcessMobility Information
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this [ Link removed ]
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at
or [ Email address blocked ]
- .Net Framework
- Agile Methodology
- Attention To Detail