Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business – we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project.
It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
About the opportunity:
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you to support a key project within the nuclear business.
We are currently looking for a Sustainability Engineer position to join the team in Birchwood.
Sustainability in Design Role: Sustainability Engineer
PPP’s Sustainability Framework set out our approach to achieve PPP’s vision:
PPP recognises that while the actions and decisions we take now should benefit society today, we must also create a significant positive legacy for future generations. This inter-generational sense of purpose drives our approach to sustainability.
The PPP Sustainability Framework is the resource that will drive and guide our approach to sustainability. In simple terms, the PPP Sustainability Framework is our legacy roadmap.
• Drives and enables the delivery of the PPP sustainability outcomes throughout all elements of project design
• Acts as sustainability subject matter expert in Design on the PPP programme and projects:
o Leads and creates project sustainability design guides and supporting processes
• Supports the PPP Sustainability Lead with the delivery of the PPP Sustainability Implementation Plan.
• Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders on the application of the PPP Sustainability outcomes
• Supports PPP Sustainability assurance, performance and impact reporting activities and KPI delivery
• Contributes to thought leadership and innovation that influences change and advancement of the nuclear industry and/or profession whilst also acting as an ambassador for PPP.
• To Reachback into Jacobs Plan Beyond and other sources of best practice to bring these into PPP.
Knowledge & Skills
• High level of professional knowledge and skills in sustainable engineering design, building physics, compliance modelling and operational energy assessments
• Strong working knowledge of sustainability including best practice benchmarks, reporting, tools and techniques e.g. BREEAM, CEEQUAL
• High levels of personal resilience and ability to adapt and flexible approaches to engaging, collaborating with and influencing different internal and external stakeholders
• A commitment to sustainability with a strong sense of purpose and drive to make a positive difference within a sustainable business context
• Highly effective communicator at all levels internally and externally, with the skills to motivate, inspire and influence fostering an interdependent culture of collaboration, joint working and personal responsibility with employees and supply chain/ contract partners
• Track record of effectively collaborating, innovating and driving sustainable outcomes through project design processes
• Demonstrable experience in operational energy and life cycle carbon costing is highly desirable.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
Qualifications & Experience
- Sustainability engineering degree level or equivalent
- Proven experience in sustainable design on large complex infrastructure projects
- Professionally qualified member of a recognized institution
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact www.jacobs.com/contact/careers2
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record.
If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
Engineering Design Process