Requisition ID: 165159
Job Level: Senior Level
Home District/Group: Underground District
Department: Construction Operations
Employment Type: Full Time
We are adding several Superintendents to our team in Canada, to support various Underground projects for different market areas. Your initial project will be supporting a project in Hope British Columbia. As a Superintendent, you will play a signiﬁcant part in the success of the Underground district by directly managing the execution of ﬁeld operations. We rely on Superintendents to set the highest expectations among their crew(s) for safety, quality, schedule, cost performance and team development. Every day you will bring your hands-on attitude to work on some of North Americas most unique projects and build builders who will continue to shape our infrastructure for generations to come.
Our mission is to make a diﬀerence and we oﬀer opportunities for you to make one too. We depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we oﬀer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we oﬀer fast-paced excitement and fulﬁllment you won’t ﬁnd anywhere else.
This is your chance to join the best construction, mining and engineering organization on earth that was recently named to Forbes America’s Best Employers, Aon Hewitt Top Companies for Leaders, and Fortune World’s Most Admired Companies! Picture yourself at a financially stable company that has been profitable for more than 130 years! We offer endless opportunities for career growth and development, competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and Travel and Living Assistance while on projects.
The Underground District has been constructing underground facilities (tunneling, deep foundations) since 1949, and has completed more than 100 underground-related projects totaling more than $1B. We look for hands-on engineers excited to be in the ﬁeld and oﬃce supporting projects and estimating work.
This project is located in Hope, BC working on the TMEP Spread 5B Tunnels.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. You must be willing to 'go where the work is' post completion of the 5B. This could include work in other parts of Canada or the United States of America.
- Form and lead effective, safety focused crews performing drill and blast functions.
- Lead daily ﬁeld operations for conventional tunneling, drilling, blasting and shotcrete work
- Develop and maintain open communication with crews, ﬁeld engineers/coordinators, Safety, Quality, and clients.
- Assist in preparing work plans and scheduling to determine manpower levels, material quantities, and equipment requirements.
- Examine/inspect ﬁeld conditions, troubleshoot problems, correct inaccuracies, and implement cost saving measures.
- Monitor and manage cost vs budget for your project.
- Monitor job safety and provide job safety training and awareness for all personnel.
- Monitor quality standards and ensure that technical speciﬁcations are being met. Ensure inspections are scheduled appropriately.
- Assist with developing job schedules, 90 day schedules, and three week schedules. Monitor job schedule and coordinate work with contractors and suppliers.
- Advise senior level superintendents and/or project management of potential problems, safety issues, schedule diﬃculties, etc. Assist in resolving such problems as required.
- Travel as required and work underground.
- Minimum of 5+ years of leadership experience in heavy civil construction, working to contract plans, speciﬁcations, applicable codes and jurisdictional requirements.
- Must have experience in Underground Drilling and Blasting.
- Must have your BC Underground Blasting Ticket or ability to obtain one before starting the project
- Understanding of cost management processes, planning, and scheduling
- Experience working in a team setting and directing/reviewing the work of others
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- The physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions and move objects up to 30 pounds
- Ability and desire to travel and relocate as business requires. Project assignments may involve full relocation or temporary assignments facilitated by a turnaround schedule. Able to alternating shifts and 11+ hours per day at times. #LI-JB1
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• Will work at various different locations and conditions may vary
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
- Abrasive Blasting
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Infrastructure Management
- Management Accounting