Assistant Project Manager-Distributed Generation-Traveling
Blythe, CA-Palm Springs, CA
As one of America’s largest contractors, specifically focused on electrical construction projects, what we do is important, but how we do it is what makes us different. At Cupertino Electric Inc., we focus on relationships, transparency, and results. Our values of People, Integrity, Excellence, Innovation, and Safety are reflected in how we treat one another, how we interact with customers, how we think about our business, and how we approach problems. We believe that building great communities is just as important as building great projects—and reflect that with our generous giving and volunteering programs.
Our Energy Group at CEI builds projects from the field to the grid. Whether it’s a solar, battery storage, substation, EV charging, microgrid, or converter station project, our skilled project managers, engineers, and field employees deliver when it matters most. We are offering this exciting opportunity to join the our Energy Group working on complex construction projects, leveraging your Project Management experience.
At Cupertino Electric, Assistant Project Managers (APM) are key to coordination between the field team, project team, and our customers. As an APM, you will have a deep understanding of CEI’s scope of work on a project and key project documents like contracts and schedules. You'll coordinate activities with the engineering team, vendors, and subcontractors. You're comfortable being the go-to person and helping resolve any issues or problem areas. You ensure everyone on the project team is clear on all aspects that relate to their specific responsibilities. You will also track project activities and manage project documentation including change orders, submittals, tracking logs, and related project documents.
Successful Assistant Project Managers are on the lookout for ways to improve or change processes and bring innovative and entrepreneurial thinking to a project. You’ll facilitate learning for yourself and others, leading team meetings and directing the work of project engineers and coordinators in partnership with the project manager and field team. To be effective, you’ll need to be comfortable communicating with groups of people and be able to speak and write in a clear and professional manner.
Skills & Experience Needed to Thrive:
- A balance of technical knowledge and communication skills is vital to an Assistant Project Manager’s success. Prior experience in electrical estimating and the ability to accurately estimate change order pricing is key.
- Verifiable experience in renewable energy construction projects is preferred
- Priority placed on a background that includes working for a General Contractor
- Experience with estimating software is important - bonus points if you know your way around Accubid Enterprise. APMs also need advanced skills in MS Word, Excel, and Project.
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Business, Engineering, or similar preferred.
- Please have at least 3 years of experience in electrical construction or MEP experience in general contracting plus other 3 plus years in general construction and or management roles together with qualifications listed above.
- Civil and/or structural experience a plus
- Construction Management
- Contract Management
- Microsoft Excel