At Jacobs, we'll inspire and empower you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed – today and into tomorrow. With more than 55,000 people in 40 countries, working at Jacobs offers an exciting range of opportunities to develop your career within a supportive and diverse team who always strive to do the right thing for our people, clients and communities.
People are Jacobs’ greatest asset, and we offer a competitive package to retain and attract the best talent.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, UK employees also receive free single medical cover and digital GP service, family-friendly benefits such as enhanced parental leave pay and free membership of employee assistance and parental programmes, plus reimbursement towards relevant professional development and memberships. We also give back to our communities through our Collectively program which incorporates matched-funding, paid volunteering time and charitable donations.
Work-life balance and flexibility is a key focus area for Jacobs. We’re happy to discuss hybrid, part-time and flexible working hours, patterns and locations to suit you and our business.
About the Opportunity
Role Outline/ Responsibilitiese
Jacobs are recruiting for a Engineering Manager to join our Engineering Development team, which has recently won several important projects and has a host of exciting new opportunities in nuclear fusion, new reactor development, nuclear decommissioning, operational reactor maintenance and support.
As one of the fastest growing departments in CMS-I, we are regularly involved in delivering a variety of exciting bids and projects within a number of different industries and as such the ideal candidate needs to be someone with a good broad ranging technical background, who is used to taking the lead and has a demonstrable track record of contributing to projects effectively within a highly regulated environment. We are looking for candidates who can encourage and develop others in their team whilst accustomed to taking a hands-on approach.
This role will be based in our Birchwood office in the North West of the UK but there will be a need for periodic visits to client sites, as projects require.
Key Responsibilities include:
The successful candidate will support the delivery of tasks within a project and bid environment. An ideal role for an ambitious person to join a team with a strong focus on development and growth opportunities for capable individuals. Your responsibilities will be supporting various and diverse nuclear clients providing Front End Engineering Design through to full life cycle project requirements including:
• Accountable for the delivery performance of design and engineering aspects of projects in a complex, highly regulated industry
• Overall management and coordination of engineering team on the project and sub-contract organisations, and interfacing with supply chain
• Management of the technical delivery of Engineering Design Integrity Workflows and compliance with technical assurance requirements
• Developing and implementing the Safety by Design strategy for specific project.
• Developing and implementing the engineering execution strategy, including preparing manhour estimates (e.g. CTRs) for large projects
• Identification of standards and specifications applicable to the project
• Engineering coordination across disciplines
• Performing appropriate engineering reviews
• Mobilising /recruiting multi-discipline engineering design teams and competence management of the project team
• Management and approval of all engineering and technical scope changes raised by the project
Qualifications & Experience - Essential
• Degree in engineering discipline or appropriate equivalent technical experience
• Good communication skills
• Experience of major engineering delivery on EPC projects
• Managing schedule performance of large technical teams
• General knowledge of key cross industry regulations and standards (CDM, PED, IEC61511, DSEAR, ASME, API, EN)
• Managing workshare with HVEC/ other design offices
• Understanding of leading-edge engineering systems e.g. full Aveva suite, Navisworks
• Experience of engineering in procurement, construction, commissioning phases
Qualifications & Experience - Desirable
• Knowledge of export control compliance regulations beneficial
Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees. Find out more about life at Jacobs.
We aim to embed inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative. We accept people for who they are, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, and whether you’re pregnant or on family leave. This is reflected in our wide range of Global Employee Networks centred on inclusion and diversity – ACE, Careers, Enlace, Harambee, OneWorld, Prism, Vetnet, and Women’s – find out more about our employee networks here.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.com to view and access our roles. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role
If you require further support or reasonable adjustments with regards to the recruitment process (for example, you require the application form in a different format), please contact the team.
Your application experience is important to us and we’re keen to adapt to make every interaction even better. We welcome feedback on our recruitment process and if you need more from us before deciding to join Jacobs then please let us know.
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
- Dangerous Substances And Explosive Atmospheres Regulations Of 2002 (Dsear)