As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
- Manages all aspects of operations of a power plant to ensure safety, regulatory compliance, and efficiency
- Responsible for all plant equipment and fuel handling operations
- Actively supports and emphasizes importance of safety and environmental programs and ensures regulatory compliance
- Promotes productivity and teamwork in Operations with open communication, timely decision making, and use of personal leadership skills to set high standards of performance (precision operations) while providing the direction necessary to achieve that performance
- Provides leadership in the lock out/tag out program in order to promote safe operations and maintenance
- Monitors plant and unit performance, conducts root cause analysis, and leads investigations to develop corrective actions
- Prioritizes maintenance direction for optimal plant availability/operation
- Coordinates unit load scheduling, testing, status, outage plans and acts as primary interface with company marketing organization for reporting unit capabilities
- Ensures proper training is being provided to Plant Operators
- Manages the production budget for assigned plant and facility
- Provides leadership, direction and feedback in the management of employee performance, discipline, morale and employee relations to Management employees and the Production Team
- Maintains communications with other areas of the Company including Talent, EH&S, and Corporate Management Teams to coordinate activities and facilitate process improvement initiatives
- Performs field inspections of job sites and work in progress
- Recognizes problems and is proactive in helping to resolve them
- Administers and participates in the resolution of labor agreements and labor issues
- Coordinates emergency response efforts (i.e., winter and summer readiness, freeze protection, integrated contingency plan, etc.)
- Manages activities associated with the staffing of the Production Department, which includes Operators and Coal Plant Operators
- Develops and implements operational policies & procedures
- Able to fulfill the responsibilities of the Plant Manager position in their absence
- Normal power plant and office environment
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires occasional travel
- High School diploma or GED
- 6 years of power plant experience or progressive business and/or engineering experience within a similar industry
- Experience leading/supervising employees
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field
- Advanced Engineering or Technical Degree
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills and capability of handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong strategic business sense and industry knowledge/experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Internet Explorer
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment.
- Routinely requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.).
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at [ Link removed ] )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
- Business Process Improvement
- Business Strategies
- Decision Making