Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2021 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Process Engineer within our Taft Plant located in Hahnville, LA.
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and/or transport our products, as our highest priority.
- Ensure consistency of operation, application of policies/procedures, and accountability across all shifts for employees working in the assigned unit.
- Plan and direct the activities of the process area in a manner that achieves production of quality products in a safe, efficient, and reliable manner.
- Develop new & enhance existing management systems and procedures to quantify and compare operating performance with established standards and assures compliance with such standards.
- Manage reliability priorities and maintenance backlogs for the operating area. Work with planners and lead techs to support maintenance excellence. Work in conjunction with Maintenance to ensure that the maintenance backlog is managed, planned, and scheduled properly.
- Identify capital projects and assist in development of detailed scope as needed for the areas.
- Provide outage planning and support for planned shutdowns. Identify outage timing and scope. Help develop the operations plan for the outage and coordinate with Maintenance on the maintenance plan and cost.
- Assure that raw material and product inventories are in compliance with established minimum-maximum levels, that these materials meet specifications, and are handled in a manner which minimizes degradation or loss. Work to meet the objectives of the business and logistics leaders to establish raw material needs/usage targets, permissible inventory flexibility, production needs, and shipment targets.
- Develop and implement specific projects to improve manufacturing cost performance.
- Provide direction to the process technicians on key parameters, plant operating instructions, preparation of equipment for maintenance, process troubleshooting, operating plans, and safety issues.
- Cooperatively accountable with other line and technical staff functions for the results of the Taft Plant. Accountability will be fulfilled by process improvements, technical assistance, environmental assistance, production engineering assistance, project engineering assistance, startup assistance, and product accountability quality improvement.
- Develop, manage and participate in programs, methods, systems, and practices for maintaining a safe work environment. Maintain safety and environmental awareness consistent with plant and corporate standards via safety meetings, training, hazards review, etc. Support OxyChem and OSHA Process Safety Management, Responsible Care and Risk Management programs including Management of Change and Process Hazards Reviews, and being EOC liaison.
- Assist Production and Maintenance Engineering in matters of evaluation, selection, and coordination and control of vendors supplying necessary operating services, consulting services, materials, equipment, and other needs of operation
- Provide coordination between the production department, Maintenance engineering, and corporate engineering departments for capital projects as required and assume responsibilities as assigned, such as equipment specifications, engineering flow sheets, etc.
- Develop and maintain expertise in areas of specialization, develop new skills, develop overall technical competence, keep informed of new technology and new developments, participate in and identify programs to improve personal and group-wide professional development
- Provide leadership while participating in teams to solve complex technical problems and achieve continuous process improvement
- Provide technical support in customer audits, inquiries and product quality improvements in accordance with the Taft’s Quality system.
- Mentor to Junior Engineers; provide direction for less experienced personnel
- Participates and accepts responsibility for meeting plant and individual PSM goals, and monthly spreadsheet responsibilities as specified in Plant procedures.
- Actively participates in plant’s Health, Environmental, Safety, and Security (HESS) programs to assure a safe and environmentally sound workplace.
- Assumes accountability for meeting plant safety goals and various other requirements including training, job observations, reporting hazards and issues, and working safely in job assignments.
- Actively participates in safety meetings and various other HESS programs while promoting safety through offering recommendations to other employees on working safely.
- Leads Process Hazard Reviews.
- Functions as key technical contact for process operations.
- Develops and maintains technical expertise to function in a back-up role for DCS troubleshooting.
- Develops Authorization for Expenditures (AFE) for capital projects and completes project implementation including training and startup assistance.
- Supports and fulfills the requirements of the plant’s ISO Quality System.
- Complete any additional responsibilities assigned by Plant Management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Business Process Improvement
- Chemical Engineering
- Continuous Production