This is an exciting Estimator opportunity working for our EDF Framework in Barnwood, Gloucester.
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
Costain supports EDF Energy Generation to maximise the lifespan of its eight UK nuclear power stations and prepare for defuelling and decommissioning. Costain's role is to provide project controls and commercial managed services to portfolios and programmes of work across all of EDF's eight UK nuclear power stations. As part of this work Costain will develop people capability in core project control skills and provide specialist support to EDFs Central Technical Organisation to improve project performance and deliver cost efficiencies.
What will I be doing?
As an Estimator you will be part of the CTO Programme Office and will support the cost estimating needs providing realistic, credible cost estimates for Investment Business Plans and setting programme/project baselines and option decision making. You will report to the Estimating and Risk Group Head and will assist in the strategic objectives, initiatives and development of the group.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Support the development of an estimate strategy through a gated project process.
- Prepare and develop estimates and basis of estimates for investment strategy and feasibility studies through a project gated process.
- Produce estimates in compliance with EDF Energy standards and procedures, and issue estimates in accordance with the project life cycle, including reports specific to project needs.
- Assist in development of and use of Project Control Structures (CBS, OBS, WBS etc.).
- Regular interfacing and integration with the project planner to ensure alignment between estimate and Project Plan.
- Maintain communications and co-ordinate input required from participating parties and project team members.
- Collate and analyse historical cost data for bench-marking purposes.
- Use and interpret historical cost information to inform the project cost estimate at each phase of the project.
- Interface proactively with other personnel to obtain relevant project information.
- Review and validate estimates from internal and external sources.
- Participate in the Project Risk Management process and when required, prepare/assist the production of Project Risk Logs for input to the estimates.
- Carry out estimate uncertainty and event risk analysis and modelling to provide provision for uncertainty (contingency) recommendations.
- Provide input to the tender review process, including claim evaluations and valuations of significant changes.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of standards and procedures owned by the Estimating & Risk Group and provide support to other Programme Office standards and procedures.
- Provide support and guidance to users in respect of the methods, processes, procedures owned by the Estimating & Risk Group.
- Project Documents (PDD, IRM papers etc.) – Contribute to the drafting and updating of these documents to ensure that they contains the project Scope of Work, KPI’s, payment milestones and the methodology for controlling the project schedule, costs and variances etc.
- Contribute to lessons learnt process at project close out.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Technical aptitude with a high level of understanding of project management, engineering, regulatory, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning activities and their relation to project costs.
- An analytical bias with the ability to provide solutions to issues.
- Strong verbal, written and presentational skills with a high level of analytical and numerate skills.
- Strong MS Excel skills and a working knowledge of MS Word and Power Point. Experience in the use of Estimating software packages. Working knowledge of SAP would be desirable.
- Ability to interpret technical specifications and engineering drawings of varying complexity.
- Ability to co-ordinate disparate information into a coherent estimate.
- Familiar in using recognised methods of measurement.
- Demonstrates a detailed knowledge & application of Value Management.
- Exhibits a strong awareness of the level of interaction required with the project team function to support the successful delivery of projects.
- Able to develop strong internal and external relationships and able to deliver against stakeholder expectations.
- Relevant experience in Project Controls and/or Project Delivery, preferably in a highly regulated environment.
- Evidence of strong engineering background, ideally within a safety/regulated environment.
- Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
- Good attention to detail with good time management skills.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills.
- Able to use initiative.
- Ability to work flexibly within the demands of the project, where appropriate, while maintaining procedural and quality requirements.
- Minimum of HNC/HND ideally in a cost/engineering related discipline or relevant experience.
Why work for us?
Talent comes in many different guises. At Costain we recognise this and work with employees to take them where they want to go rather than where we think they should go. We are fully committed to creating a safe place to work, where everyone can be at their best, every day. A workplace where everyone can be their true self, feel valued and understood for who they are and what makes them unique.
As a mark of our progress we were named as a Times Top 50 Employer for Women in 2018 and again in 2019. In addition to this, we have won various awards, including IChemE Diversity and Inclusion, Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Employer of the year and a Business in the Community (BITC) Game Changer award. Manchester and London Pride parades are now established dates in the Costain calendar, and we are proud to be a Stonewall diversity champion. We are a member of Working Families, an early signatory to the BITC Race Charter and a Disability Confident Committed employer.
Costain value that everyone is different and by being different, our people can bring their own valuable contribution to the business. Creating an inclusive culture makes us more able to recruit, retain and progress a diverse workforce, increasing employee engagement and experiencing higher levels of wellbeing.
Our employee benefits
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits. As well as a competitive salary, our employees enjoy a comprehensive core benefits package which includes:
- Group Pension Plan, to help you save for the future
- Employee Assistance Programme, to help employees and their families balance the pressures of work and home life
- Incentive payments to recognise high-performance
- Life assurance, to help protect your loved ones financially
- Funded membership to a professional Institute
- Private healthcare and dental packages
- Salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership, to keep you as fit and as healthy as you can be
- Volunteering days, so you can give back to your local community
- Save as You Earn (SAYE) scheme, that lets you save towards buying shares in Costain
Costain, and the Armed Forces
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK. You may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
Work Breakdown Structure
Project Management Life Cycle