Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $3,282.00 Bi-Weekly
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,500 employees we can’t do without, yet we’re growing as fast as ever.
You may think we’re your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we’re also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You’ll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let’s rethink energy together.
- Controls the flow of gas in the pipeline system of FortisBC and FEVI and potential external systems to ensure safe, efficient operating conditions, reliable customer service and optimum purchases and sales on a 24-7 basis by:
- monitoring pipeline data such as pressures and flow rates using a supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system;
- analyzing and responding to alarms and other potential problems according to established procedures;
- controlling pipeline pressures and flows through the operation of remote controlled equipment such as compressors and valves;
- acting as primary contact in any emergency involving pipeline facilities and notifies management personnel as required, may make initial assessment of incidents, coordinate response and take appropriate action;
- forecasting daily gas requirements by analyzing current weather forecast information, historical load and temperature data, customer estimates and historical data and current telemetry data;
- determining the availability of gas for interruptible sales based on supply and economics, allocating available supply to interruptible customers, issues curtailment notices and maintains proper curtailment records;
- producing various daily, weekly and monthly reports for distribution to management and other departments;
- coordinating and analyzing field procedures for pipeline construction, maintenance, and repairs, releasing pipeline for work and altering flows and pressures as required;
- recording all activity related to system operation in the gas control logs.
- Maintains liaison with:
- field personnel to coordinate work, report problems and initiate call-outs when required;
- personnel from other pipeline companies, gas suppliers and customers to coordinate pipeline activity;
- other company departments including Measurement, Marketing, Engineering, Gas Supply, Data Processing and Customer Accounting.
- Designs and maintains computer applications as required to perform Gas Control accounting, reporting and data archival functions on personal computers using various software, including spreadsheet, data base, communications and utility programs. Transfer historical data from SCADA system to PC for archival.
- Creates reports and maintains data records as required by modifying and running customized programs on the company mainframe to:
- verify daily operating data input to the Gas Control database;
- produce weekly and monthly reports to check the validity of telemetry and measurement data, reports problems to appropriate personnel;
- verify accuracy of gas volume statements and records of daily gas transactions produced by other companies;
- produce historical load reports and graphs from the Gas Control database for use in load forecasts;
- produce reports for Gas control studies, other company departments and customers as required;
- Evaluates current demand, determines when demand is at variance from authorized supplies, and makes appropriate changes to storage supply to bring demand in balance.
- Provides specific information regarding pipeline operation to other departments and management as requested.
- Upgrades SCADA system software by designing and maintaining screen displays and calculation tables.
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs on Gas Control equipment. Contacts the appropriate service companies for all major repairs. Diagnoses SCADA system, filed communications and telemetry equipment problems. Initiates repair procedures with appropriate communications company and/or FortisBC personnel.
- Uses standby electronic equipment to monitor and control the pipeline operation if required due to major Gas Control Centre equipment failure or building evacuation.
- Processes and extracts volumes from electronic real-time measurement system. Calculates volumes manually from meter readings when required.
- Develops new methods and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness in the performance of the above duties, and to adapt to the rapidly evolving requirements of the department.
- Must work on evenings, weekends and holidays to ensure a 24-7 operation year-round. Must also be flexible for scheduling on an on-call basis.
- Performs other minor, related duties which do not affect the value of the job.
- Successful completion of a Diploma from an accredited post-secondary institution in a directly related field (e.g. Power Engineering, Gas Processing)Must be registered or eligible for registration with ASTTBC.
- Red Seal Interprovincial Certificate in an industry related field (e.g. Instrumentation and Control, Millwright)
- Ability to pass Operator Qualification Training internal certification. New incumbents must pass certification shortly after beginning work as a Gas Controller.
- Demonstrated five (5) years directly related experience: Control Room, Pipeline Operations, Plant Operations, Field Instrumentation, Pipeline Hydraulics Planning, Design Engineering.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and knowledge in pipeline hydraulics, gas (fluids) processes, pipeline operations, field equipment, compression and control systems, and thermodynamics.
- Demonstrated intermediate level computer literacy including demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft products (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook) and other applicable software.
- Ability to organize and evaluate data and make related, logical decisions.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and ability to exchange technical information.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and work under pressure in an environment which can be high stress.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
Safety is our number one priority, and to maintain the health and safety of our employees and broader communities, we have a number of COVID-19 safety measures in place. This includes a requirement for all new employees to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their first day of work or the start of their employment. And of course, we will consider an accommodation for anyone who’s unable to be vaccinated due to a protected ground as defined by the Human Rights Code.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the [ Link removed ] page for additional information.
- Computer Literacy
- Control Systems
- Customer Service