What is the Role
The Technical Services team are responsible for the design, installation, testing and commissioning of the systems deployed in substations and other electrical plant locations, as well as the operational communication solutions in support of these systems.
1. Play a pivotal role in taking customer requests from the business and work closely with them to turn the requests into solutions and deliverables. From these deliverables you will then play a central role in project managing the deployment.
2. Allocated elements of the Technical Services capital budget to manage and deliver, based on the platforms available.
3. Primarily use processes and procedures already established by the team, however, there will be an opportunity to develop and produce new processes and procedures, working with the team to create standard solutions; the ongoing technology strategy is a team effort and you will be expected to strongly contribute.
4. Responsible for Concept Designs, Design Specifications, Technical Specifications, I/O Schedules, Working Procedures, Operation and Maintenance documents.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
1. A degree with equivalent experience in a relevant field, such as Computing, Physical Sciences, Electronics or Engineering. Due to the technical nature of the role, previous experience in a similar role is preferred.
2. Familiarity with some or all the following technologies would be essential: Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) , UHF Scanning Radio Telemetry , IP Mesh Radio, Data Networking ( LAN and WAN) & Cybersecurity, TCP/IP, UDP, SNMP, NTP, DSL, ADSL, TSAT, BGAN, APNs & VPNs, GSM, UMTS, LTE networks, PAKNET, VRRP, Utility Protocols (DNP3, IEC61850 & EWISP+ ), Fibre Optic and Copper Cable Networks, PCs , Control & Monitoring Systems (SCADA & MNS- design, development & maintenance ), HMIs, BT21CN, Teleprotection, and IEDs, Microsoft Windows based applications and collaboration tools to name but a few.
Some of our technology venders are ABB-Hitachi(RTUs), Cisco( Networking), GE (SCADA), NOJA Power (RTUs), Schneider Electric (RTUs, Radio telemetry, ClearScada NMS), Westermo (Networking and media conversion), Vodaphone (4G/LTE) and ZIV(RTUs).
3. The role will be office based, however the role will require regular travel to substations, sites, supplier locations and other SSE offices as required so a full driving license is essential.
4. You'll be required to manage multiple projects and resources across several sites therefore the ability to prioritise changing workload and business priorities is essential.
5. Further to the technical requirements, you'll be safety focussed with excellent written and verbal communication skills; you should be comfortable dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external.
About our Business
powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Global System For Mobile Communications
Universal Mobile Telecommunications Systems
Installations (Computer Systems)
Human Machine Interfaces