Sr. Geotechnical Engineer
Advisian, Worley Group
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Advisian is the independent consulting business line of Worley providing solutions for clients in the Hydrocarbons, Minerals & Metals, Chemicals and Infrastructure industries. We have combined the deep technical consulting capabilities of Worley Consulting, Select and INTECSEA with our existing strategy and management consulting expertise. As part of one of the world’s largest engineering firms, we continue to push boundaries and extend our capabilities globally. Worley is a company that prides itself on providing safe and high-quality services that exceed our customer’s expectations, which is why we manage some of the world's leading projects. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy.
Advisian Geotechnical Division
The Geotechnical Engineering Practice in our Americas region, comprises of 45 engineering professionals with a broad range of technical skills and experience. Currently these professionals are engaged on a number of challenging technical projects. Current projects being executed by this team include large diameter pipelines, LNG facilities, industrial processing plants, oil sands developments, moderate through significant dam structures, pipeline integrity geohazard assessments and marine terminals.
Geotechnical Engineering Practice forms an important part of Advisian America’s Geoscience practice which comprises over one hundred geotechnical, geological and geophysical professionals throughout North, Central and South America. Combined, these professionals execute projects of varying size and complexity across the Americas and internationally.
Unplanned changes in response to unexpected site conditions can represent one of the most significant cost and schedule risks to our clients’ developments. For successful project completion, clients need to understand the site conditions of their developments and the associated risks. Our geotechnical consultants offer a unique combination of extensive global resources and world-recognized geotechnical expertise to mitigate the unique challenges faced by our clients.
Total lifecycle expertise
Advisian’s expertise spans across the full project lifecycle through feasibility, design, construction, and operations. This allows us to recognize opportunities and risks early, and influence early phase decision-making to optimize the geotechnical outcome.
Through integrated teams we provide clients with a single interface that delivers efficiency and clarity of accountability within the technical (engineering and geotechnical) team. Teams from various disciplines allow for everyday face-to-face interaction, effective communication, quick decision-making, and sharing of ideas as we strive for efficiency and innovation.
Unrivalled industry knowledge
Our consultants are involved in the most diverse projects globally, and possess unrivaled industry knowledge and experience across key areas such as onshore, nearshore, and offshore site characterization; geotechnical engineering; management of tailings; design of roads, railway, tunnels, ports, and pipelines, and advanced numerical analysis.
Our services include:
- Marine and coastal consulting
- Facility development
Whom you would work with;
Our Geotechnical Engineering Practice seeks someone with strong technical and communication skills and who is eager to work with a group of dynamic individuals and contribute to the growth of our practice. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact with several projects, and work collaboratively with multiple technical and advisory disciplines.
What you bring to the team
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in civil/geotechnical engineering, or equivalent
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with APEGA
- Eight (8) years of related experience practicing civil and/or geotechnical, engineering on large scale and/or complex projects
- Professional experience in industries such as upstream/downstream oil and gas, industrial development, and mining, oil sands developments, marine structures, linear development (including road, rail, power and pipeline)
- Ability to present technical information, both written and verbally, in a concise and professional manner
- A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience of effective client engagement, relationships and management
- Experience in preparing proposals and developing engineering and capital cost estimates
- Demonstrated capability to conduct and supervise geotechnical engineering through field investigations to design, and train, mentor and develop junior and intermediate staff
- Experience with Canadian Dam Association (CDA) - Dam Safety Reviews
- Self-starter, flexible team player, willing and able to work on a wide variety of tasks and to coordinate staff
- Skills in AutoCad and GeoStudio Package
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution plus appropriate continuing education in civil/geotechnical engineering, or civil engineering with geotechnical focus
- 10 years of related experience practicing civil and/or geotechnical, engineering on large scale and/or complex projects
- Knowledge with large industrial site selection and development, earth dam construction and/or operations for mining or power generation, international experience with CDA audits
- Supervisory, project management experience
- Knowledge of Brazilian standards and legislation for mining dams and knowledge of Brazilian soils is a differential
- Proficiency in Portuguese language is an asset.
Advisian (part of the Worley Group) offers an excellent remuneration & benefits package, a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within Canada and overseas.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviours, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Advisian (part of the Worley