Seeking a Compliance Director with experience working with independent power industry regulatory reporting. As a member of the Compliance team for a large independent power producer, this candidate will work with commercial operations and settlements to ensure compliance with rules set forth by the various external regulatory organizations.
Responsible for the effective implementation of the organization's compliance reporting activities with an emphasis on state reporting including resource adequacy (RA), renewables portfolio standard (RPS), Electronic Quarterly Reports (EQRs), and California Air Resources Board Greenhouse Gas Emissions reporting and trading operations. Responsible for technology & processes utilized to assemble the various regulatory reports provided to external regulators. Candidate will use analytical skill sets to leverage deal life cycle events and understand how that impacts reports, risks, and compliance analytics. Should be comfortable with reviewing, documenting, investigating, and evaluating transactions in support of Calpine’s Compliance activities. Knowledge of commercial business models, Swap Data Repository reporting and wholesale/retail trading will be critical to applying any interpretative guidance regarding commercial compliance. Will work closely with peer level operational management in providing advice on the interpretation and implementation of compliance policies and in evaluating the compliance implications of planned business activities or process changes. Also responsible for facilitating training and ensuring effective remediation of potential non-compliant situations.
• As a member of the Compliance team for a large independent power producer, the candidate will work with commercial operations and settlements to ensure compliance with rules set forth by the various external regulatory organizations, including FERC, CFTC, the California Energy Commission (CEC), and various state public utilities commissions, including the CPUC and PUCT.
• Serve as a liaison between the company and regulatory entities on compliance-related needs including but not limited to reporting requirements.
• Participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of company compliance efforts which cover procedure updates, evidence gathering and management, and tracking of requirements and reporting established by external agencies.
• Plan, develop, and implement training programs for commercial desk personnel to ensure compliance with rules established by the various regulatory agencies.
• Collaborate with subject matter experts to prepare responses to regulatory requests for information, including but not limited to compliance audits, spot-checks, and self-certifications.
• Conduct departmental self-assessments to identify gaps and work with applicable personnel to implement mitigation plans to address potential concerns in a timely manner.
• Research new and emerging regulatory activities affecting the company and update impacted business groups and Senior Management as needed.
• Facilitate company outreach to promulgate information related to the Compliance Program to ensure that affected Parties are knowledgeable and up-to-date with all requirements.
• Assist in the development, tracking, calculating and reporting of corporate compliance metrics to Senior Management.
• Demonstrate adherence to the company’s Code of Conduct, all company policies and procedures, and all laws and regulations that govern the company.
• Some travel required to participate in industry forums, and also to regional offices/plant sites to perform compliance assessments, gap analyses, mock audits, audit preparation and training of plant personnel.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree required with at least ten years combined experience working in an energy trading arena and/or compliance related field.
• Demonstrable capability in excel, VBA, data mining, and analytical forecasting. Familiar with database systems such as NoSQL, SQL Server and Oracle.
• Experience managing compliance issues with regulations approved by FERC ISOs/RTOs, and state agencies.
• Experience with Regulatory reporting to FERC, ISO/RTO, State PUCs and Swap Data Repositories such as Trade Vault and DTCC.
• Data and position analysis background in energy trading, specifically natural gas and power
• Experience with Allegro and/or other comparable Energy Trading and Risk Management system
Specific Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Ability to analyze large amounts of data and compile information as evidence to demonstrate compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
• Excellent writing and analytical skills and an ability to communicate information in both formal and informal settings.
• Thorough knowledge of English composition principles and familiarity with technical industry terminology.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in both team environments and independently.
• Ability to manage multiple deadlines and set work priorities accordingly.
• Proficiency with Office applications.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Vaccination Information: Calpine requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be vaccinated for COVID-19 within the first 28 days of employment - if not already vaccinated prior to starting employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Calpine’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Calpine does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to [ Email address blocked ] . Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP URL blocked - click to apply.
- Attention To Detail