Come join our team! The successful candidate will have strong drive and a will to succeed and take ownership of assigned oil and gas projects, adding value through critical thinking and strong inter-personal skills. The Project Controller will be responsible for a portfolio of projects with investments in upstream assets. Candidates with accounting experience in the Oil and Gas industry and proficiency with SAP accounting and financial reporting systems preferred.
- Learn and understand the business; including market forces, key operational drivers, joint interest accounting, and key oil and gas accounting issues for assigned projects;
- Exhibit a comprehensive understanding of the Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flows of assigned projects
- Understand the accounting impact of all relevant project documents including joint operating and development agreements
- Assist in analyzing the accounting risks and impacts of acquisitions and divestitures for assigned projects
- Develop a thorough understanding of all journal entries affecting the assigned projects
- Work closely with other accounting personnel, business managers, operations, reservoir engineering, and the corporate financial reporting team to ensure the proper accounting, consolidation and reporting of all assigned projects
- Ensure compliance with current GAAP and identify and implement applicable new GAAP
- Prepare timely and accurate quarterly and annual financial statements
- Prepare timely and accurate discrete project reporting as required by partnership and financing agreements
- Prepare timely and accurate management reports and support external reporting (e.g., 10K, 10Q, etc.)
- Ensure SOx compliance with all processes impacting the assigned projects and provide timely responses to auditor requests
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with the tax department to properly account for income taxes.
- Participate in project-level financings and other Treasury initiatives
- Accept and perform special projects, such as software implementation initiatives, Six Sigma projects and new GAAP implementation
- The ideal candidate will possess the following performance attributes and competencies:
- Driven – committed to career development through personal improvement
- Problem solver - proactive thinker with practical solutions, analytical, and orientation to be tightly linked to business strategies and financial priorities
- Professional skills – strong interpersonal skills, builds and nurtures cross functional teams and relationships both locally and across the greater organization, respects others, is tactfully assertive, has a bias for action, and follows through to completion
- Technical skills – experience researching, interpreting and applying accounting rules and policies, specifically in the Oil and Gas industry
- Process & project management – strong planning and organizational skills
- Integrity – strong ethic to comply with legal, regulatory, and company rules and policies
We strengthen and engage our greatest asset – our people!! We look forward to working together and making an impact!
Employees in this role are responsible for performing key financial functions for an assigned portfolio of electric generating facilities, including internal and external reporting, budgeting and forecasting, business analytics, and certain aspects of the monthly close process and treasury functions. Individuals provide effective, timely, and actionable financial information and business analytics on the facilities in their portfolios including monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting and analysis on the financial performance of the electric generating facilities, treasury management, as well as ad hoc reporting and analysis as required. Employees in this position apply strong analytical skills to identify and evaluate operational and business issues that impact financial performance and effectively communicate the results to various stakeholders, including business partners in other areas of finance as well as senior management and outside investors. Individuals in this role act as subject matter experts on complex topics and provide mentorship to others within the organization.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares and analyzes monthly forecasts, including the evaluation of assumptions, to ensure effective, timely, and actionable financial information
- Prepares timely and accurate internal and external operating reports, and other discrete reporting as required by financing and partnership agreements
- Develops and maintains complex financial models for financings and partnerships, including due diligence support and pro forma development
- Provides high-quality analytics and valuable variance commentary on actual and forecasted financial information
- Prepares ad hoc financial analyses, reports and models as required (scenario/impact analysis on potential transactions and business decisions)
- Prepares presentations for third-party lenders/investors
- Participates in special projects such as software implementation initiatives and process improvement/Six Sigma projects
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's - Accounting / Finance/ Business
- Experience: 7+ years
- Master’s - Accounting / Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Business Analytics
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Location: Houston, Texas
Other Work Locations: Texas
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to [ Link removed ] , providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call
. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not
accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies
. Please see our [ Link removed ] for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles