Maintenance Technician Mechanical (MTM) - Millwright
Cleveland-Cliffs is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The company is vertically integrated from mining through iron making, steelmaking, rolling, finishing and downstream with hot and cold stamping of steel parts and components. Cleveland-Cliffs Minorca Mine, near Virginia, MN, is one of the company’s leading sources of iron ore – a major raw material required in the manufacture of steel. Each year, Minorca produces about 2.8 million tons of fluxed iron-bearing pellets, and mines about 18 million tons of ore, rock and waste material, called overburden. The pellets are then shipped to Cleveland-Cliffs Indiana Harbor, North America’s largest integrated steelmaking complex located in East Chicago, Ind., about 20 minutes southeast of Chicago. There, the pellets are charged into Indiana Harbor’s massive No. 7 Blast Furnace – the largest iron producer in the Western Hemisphere, capable of producing more than 12,500 tons of molten iron a day. Minorca supplies about 50 percent of No. 7 Blast Furnace’s pelletized iron requirements.
As a MTM-Millwright at Cleveland-Cliffs, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career. Ideal candidates enjoy hands-on, collaborative environments and are willing to seize opportunities to develop themselves. MTM - Millwrights perform all mechanical functions necessary to maintain operating and service equipment using standard and specialized tools and equipment.
- Performs all mechanical functions necessary to maintain all operating and service equipment
- Uses standard and specialized tools and equipment
- Makes mechanical repairs as required in connection with their mechanical service
- Operates equipment in conjunction with repairs
- Provides assistance in operating functions as necessary to keep equipment running
- May work alone, with minimal supervision and works with other Maintenance Technicians
- Coordinates and works in conjunction with Operating Technicians and / or Service Technicians in the performance of mechanical maintenance tasks
- Candidates will be required to pass a written and practical exam
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent from an accredited school
- two-year degree program or an apprenticeship in the millwright or maintenance mechanical field
- two years of experience as a standard millwright or maintenance mechanic working in heavy industry
- five or more years of work experience as a millwright may be considered in lieu of education
- Must be at least 18 years of age, be willing to work at heights, work in extreme heat and cold, must be willing to work a rotating shift that shall include weekends and holidays as well as, climb and or walk on uneven surfaces
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- Mining or Heavy Construction experience is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, be highly motivated and be willing to work in a self-directed team environment with minimal supervision and direction
- Excellent work attendance record, be willing to report to work as scheduled, flexibility to work overtime as needed or directed
- Successful candidates must be willing to perform shift work, including rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays. Shift work includes 12-hour work shifts.
- Willingness to work in a variety of different indoor and outdoor environments including very hot, cold, and/or noisy surroundings and at heights and catwalks including see-through metal gratings. Work environments include exposure to different types of industrial working conditions.
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: [ Link removed ] and [ Link removed ] . We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.