Arkema has established itself as France’s leading chemical producer and a world leader in specialty chemicals and advanced materials. With annual sales of €8.8 billion and 20,000 people employed in some 55 countries, the Group pursues ambitious recruitment objectives both in France and around the world. Arkema offers diverse employment opportunities in 200 job functions and professions in four major fields: industrial, R&D, business, and support functions.
Reaching far beyond your discoveries!
Regarded as one of the world’s leading innovators, Arkema has made research one of the pillars of its strategy. For example by discovering new solutions to help reduce the weight of materials, hence cut down consumption. By developing innovative thermal insulation systems that can optimize the energy performance of buildings. Or by seeking new applications for its biosourced products at the service of greater sustainable development.
Innovative and durable solutions
Our high performance products have applications in wide-ranging areas, from new generation car batteries or telephones to recyclable wind turbine blades, from adhesives for the protective backsheets of solar panels to drinking water filtration systems, from running shoes and acrylic resins with no solvent and no volatile organic compound for 3D printing to molecular sieves for portable oxygen devices used by people suffering from respiratory failure… Joining Arkema means being part of a Group enjoying sustained growth that in little more than a decade has built up an exemplary achievement record, setting high ambitions for itself and for its employees. All our job opportunities are open to people with disabilities at equal merit or with equal skill levels.
SITUATION IN ORGANIZATION:
Reports to the Production Superintendent.
People Data = Resources from the Chief Operator, Process Board operators, other Outside Process operators, Production Engineers, Shipping Department, Maintenance Department, Laboratory Department and the Management Staff.
HES Data = Authority to affect equipment operations (up to and including equipment shutdown) to maintain environmental and safety compliances.
Statistical Data = Reporting of hourly equipment status. Logging all information related to equipment. Writing of Entry permits.
Responsible for ensuring that all AIMS HESQ policies & practices (ISO-9001, ISO-14001, ISO-45001 & RCMS) are followed by all operations personnel. This includes compliance with OSHA 1910, environmental regulations and permits, quality systems, and safe work permit practices.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Equipment Operations: Primary operational control assigned unit in the Houston Plant. With the authority to affect the operations and availability of process equipment in one or more units. Trained on procedures and procedure changes and must comply with all HSE requirements and permit requirements on process equipment in one or more units.
- Monitors the DCS where applicable and supports the Board operator and production process by performing task outside in the units. 25%
- Observe instruments, meters and gauges and to verify specified conditions and record readings. 5%
- Responsible for reporting of any operational changes to the Chief Operator. 5%
- Responsible of staying current on all process and equipment changes. 5%
- Operate pumps, compressors, fans, dryers, control valves and other equipment to achieve optimum operating conditions and product quality. 5%
- Make rounds on a periodic basis to verify safe and efficient operating conditions and to identify maintenance needs. 5%
- Perform Audio, Olfactory and Visual inspections of units at the start of their shift to identify problems that require attention. 5%
- Manage logistics of on-spec/off-spec materials to Day tanks, Bullet tanks and spheres. 2%
- Implement training of Process operators where needed. 5%
- Manage logistics of waste generated by units and related processes and responds as needed, to emergencies. 5%
- Responsible for troubleshooting and mitigating abnormal parameters on process and utility equipment. 2%
- Responsible for reviewing log entries, to verify that all appropriate information is documented. 2%
- Assures product quality through periodic sampling and analysis of Day tanks, Bullet tanks and Spheres. 2%
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of equipment for normal maintenance, shut down and start up, and returning the equipment to service. This consists of clean up, lockout/tagout, blinding and pressure testing of equipment. 5%
- Issuing and administration of work permits. 5%
- Responsible for responding to emergencies in the process by way of isolating equipment, de-pressuring, purging of equipment, containing releases, etc. 5%
- Responsible for following all Safety, Environmental and operations procedures. 5%
- Notification to plant technical support of any procedures, drawings, log sheets, or DCS screens that is determined to be incorrect. 2%
Secondary/Support Activities: Additionally responsible for or assisting in the completion of the following task.
- Required to stay current on one or more unit operations and re-certification of units through a formal training plan. 5%
- Perform Safety and Environmental inspections. 2%
- Responsible for housekeeping in units. 2%
- Coordinate daily maintenance of equipment with Process Board operator and Chief Operator. 2%
- Assist MSM element champions on special elements as requested by supervision and Chief Operators. 2%
- Writing of Maintenance work orders in SAP. 2%
- Participate in shift safety chats. 2%
- Responsible for completing all daily paper work and log books on units/equipment. 2%
- Provide relief in Outside Process Operator position to allow for training inside and outside of the plant, vacation, plant initiatives, short-term illness and long-term illness. 2%
- Provide Operational support to Chief Operator, Process Board operators, Outside Process operators and Production, Technical and Maintenance engineers. 2%
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Changing production requirements - quality, quantity customer needs, logistics
- HES policies and procedures/limits
- Equipment availability and capabilities
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
REQUIRED EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS/WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Qualified on one or more units.
- Experienced with all aspects of startups, shutdowns, turnarounds and emergencies of one or more units. Including the writing of safety permits on units.
- Good organizational skills.
- Verbal and written communications skills required for effective interfacing.
- Fire Brigade qualified.
Required (before hiring):
- Passing of a pre-employment physical.
- High School Diploma.
- Previous experience of training in the Petrochemical Industry performing similar work.
- Good communication skills.
Desirable (before hiring):
- Minimum of 2 years of accredited training in Process Technology of similar field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as an operator in a similar operation.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with Honeywell DCS Controls.
To comply with all Houston Facility and corporate policies and procedures including, but not limited to the Houston Plant Management Policy, and code of conduct. Under the direct supervision of the Chief Operator, maintains and controls of one or more pieces of equipment in the production and/or utility units to achieve optimum product quality and desired production rate following established safety, environmental and production procedures.
A designer of materials and innovative solutions, Arkema shapes materials and creates new uses that accelerate customer performance. Our balanced business portfolio spans high-performance materials, industrial specialties and coating solutions. Our globally recognized brands are ranked among the leaders in the markets we serve. Reporting annual sales of €8.8 billion ($10.4 billion USD) in 2018, we employ approximately 20,000 people worldwide and operate in close to 55 countries. We are committed to active engagement with all our stakeholders. Our research centers in North America, France and Asia concentrate on advances in bio-based products, new energies, water management, electronic solutions, lightweight materials and design, home efficiency and insulation.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.
Process Operator, Outside Sales, Compliance, Facilities, Chemical Research, Manufacturing, Sales, Legal, Operations, Engineering
- Conflict Management
- Customer Demand Planning