At Jacobs, we don’t settle – always looking beyond to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. We apply our expertise and knowledge as we look into the future with great optimism and focus. We don’t settle until we give our best and know that we’re making a difference.
We're looking for a Lead Civil Engineer to support our project in Portland, Oregon, who is excited about working on projects that enable the heart of our clients’ business. Join us and you’ll have the chance to work on projects including state of the art industrial, semi-conductor, and data center facilities. You’ll be accountable for schedule and technical quality of challenging engineering tasks, as you gain familiarity with the client’s expectations, scope, budget, and schedule. Your multi-discipline, highly interactive team will conceptualize initial civil design for land/site development, prepare grading plans, performing earthwork and drainage/stormwater calculations.
Bring your curiosity, talent for multi-tasking and collaboration, and extreme organizational skills and we’ll help you grow, pursue and fulfill what drives you – so we can make big impacts on the world, together.
This role will provide the selected candidate with an opportunity to work remotely. It is expected that you have a strong working knowledge of civil principals in many subject areas, understanding of US building codes with emphasis on local jurisdictional code requirements, understand how civil design integrates with and impacts other disciplines, and understand business trends and industry issues and challenges.
• Highly focused on quality, ensuring conformance with established civil standards, project standards, and project delivery processes.
• Able to review and evaluate construction documents for accuracy and full compliance with client design standards, company standards, and all local jurisdiction code requirements.
• Takes responsibility for managing workload, making and keeping commitments, and taking full ownership of assigned work:
• Takes complete ownership of their portion of the civil scope, reliably meeting schedule, budget, and quality requirements.
• May be given tasks with ill-defined conditions of satisfaction, in which case the individual will be expected to take the initiative to determine what is needed to meet the project and client needs.
• Clearly define own scope and can forecast level of effort needed to complete that scope. Be ready to identify scope change and escalate it to Civil Lead.
• Ask for help when needed, and delegate to other engineers when appropriate.
• Developing leadership skills:
• Provides technical coaching, mentorship, and/or training to develop less experienced engineers.
• Proactive in advancing workflows, systems, and tools within the civil discipline. Embraces emerging technologies.
• Established reputation as a Quality Reviewer.
• Able to delegate work to other engineers and designers, including staff located in remote offices.
• Able to support work for/in other offices (possibly including Temporary Duty Assignments).
• As a Project Civil Engineer for an assigned project:
• Assist in the development of calculations, specifications, construction drawings, and the civil model (in AutoCAD Civil 3d).
• Provide design direction to Engineering and Design team as coordinated with Senior Civil Engineer.
• Fully understand all civil scope, recognize how that scope is both generated and impacted by other disciplines, and identify scope change to Senior Civil Engineer or Project Manager.
• Work with Senior Civil Engineer to develop and manage schedule, budget, and staffing forecasts for the civil scope. Provide updates on scope progress as required.
• Attend project meetings and takes an active role to help team resolve concerns and solve problems across all disciplines. Provide meeting records.
• Participates in and champions internal, cross-discipline, and external project quality reviews.
• May be asked to act as the stamping Engineer of Record for smaller projects.
• When required, take ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the deliverables, including calculations and all construction documents.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
• Able to perform field walks. Though not common, this may include climbing ladders, field verification in rough terrain or active construction sites, or walking/standing for extended periods of time.
At Jacobs, we’re partnering across the globe to create the best project outcomes by maximizing the design, digital technology, and support capabilities of our Global Integrated Delivery (GID) teammates. By joining Jacobs, you’ll commit to supporting and engaging with these teams, as we work to build a company like no other.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under