The Integrated Systems Assurance Team are a key part our People & Places Solutions business, working on a varied range of projects, both within the UK and internationally, assisting our clients with the delivery of their products, projects and programmes - safely, effectively and efficiently. The team is a highly motivated, inclusive and diverse group, responsible for providing systems engineering, technical system safety, reliability, dependability and risk management services to highly regulated industries, including rail, aviation, aerospace, government, energy and processing.
We are looking for a Principal Systems Engineer to lead teams in delivering systems engineering activities across major projects within the UK and internationally; initially based in York.
You will be a creative systems thinker who understands the application of systems engineering and the project lifecycle. You will be able to interpret working standards, such as IEC 15288, and apply them to complex problems. Knowledge of the rail sector is not a prerequisite; we are looking for systems thinkers who can see the bigger picture and solve the problems that come with it. We’re looking for individuals who are comfortable leading teams, managing stakeholders and working closely with clients to identify and develop solutions.
Initially you will lead the application of systems engineering in one of our major projects within the rail industry; particularly the development and management of the system architecture for the purposes of identifying interfaces, monitoring and management of configuration items and associated baselines in line with the programme lifecycle.
• Manage interfaces throughout the programme at tactical and programme levels.
• Develop and manage the programme reporting function.
• Act as the architectural analyst managing the PMO system level architecture covering the entire programme route.
• Liaise with and ensure delivery alliance input into the system level architecture to facilitate “integrated Engineering Life Cycle”, iELC and Stage Gate progression.
• Assist in the management of programme requirement, assumptions, and maintenance of the baseline documentation.
• Supporting assumptions and requirements development.
• Development of metrics and implementation of PowerBI reporting.
• Support of Verification and Validation
• Authorship and maintenance of interface management plans
This role provides a fantastic career opportunity, whilst developing your skills and experience under the guidance and mentorship of our industry-recognised senior team.
The Integrated System Assurance Team is distributed nationally, supporting our clients globally. We are a progressive and flexible team and offer the opportunity to work from home, business needs permitting. Travel may be required to project and client offices with occasional overnight stays or longer-term secondments. This may include opportunities for working overseas.
• A relevant degree in engineering or management (e.g. BEng/MEng/MBA)
• Chartered or Incorporated engineer, or equivalent professional experience and training in the field of engineering or the equivalent in a technical and/or scientific discipline
• Broad experience of leading Systems Engineering activities in a complex, safety focussed and regulated organisation with multiple complex interfaces. Ideally in rail (e.g. heavy, metro or light) or a similar regulated environment (e.g. aerospace or nuclear)
• Demonstrable experience of educating and engaging with peers and stakeholders on system integration as a specialism.
• Demonstrable experience of change management, rapidly adapting to emerging requirements, changing circumstances and high levels of uncertainty and ambiguity in a fast-changing environment
• Ability to generate business internally within a project and externally within the markets we operate in
• Demonstrable experience of leading teams, either functionally or within a matrix setting
Ideally, here’s what you’ll also have:
• A higher degree
• INCOSE recognised status, e.g. Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP)
• Demonstrable experience of,
• Requirements capture, analysis and management
• Verification and validation
• Interface identification, control, and management
• Systems architecture development
• Systems migration planning
• Working experience of setting up and enabling Enterprise Architecture and Modelling activities for complex ‘System of Systems’ (SoS) projects.
• Experience in the application of systems assurance standards such as EN 50126, EN 50128, EN 50129, IEC 61508 ISO 15288 etc.
• Experience in SPARX Enterprise Architect, Cameo Systems Modeler ™, IBM® Rational® Rhapsody® Architect, Capella or other similar MBSE tool
With an insatiable curiosity about the possibilities of tomorrow, we’re tackling the transformative trends of today to connect people and places with the means to work smarter and live better, and make an enduring, positive difference for
Discover how we can reinvent tomorrow, together.
We’re invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We clear the way for inventive thinking and exploration, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. We redefine what’s possible. There’s something that drives everyone – and we want you to keep evolving your career, discover unexpected opportunities and ensure you can deliver on tomorrow.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we’re more connected, and if we are diverse, we’re more creative.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts. Please also bear in mind that you do not need to meet 100% of the Essential Criteria to be considered for a position with Jacobs.
We guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.